This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Avocado Pineapple Salad is a light, sweet and savory Cuban-inspired salad recipe made with iceberg lettuce, fresh pineapple, avocado, and red onion topped with a citrus vinaigrette.
Our friends hosted a Cuban dinner party this past weekend. It was really fun to experiment with a couple of new recipes. Everyone was assigned a dish to bring for the meal and I chose this light and summery avocado and pineapple salad and a baked flan for dessert.
While searching for authentic Cuban recipes, a little gem popped up from Three Guys From Miami. I mean, how could I go wrong with a Saveur recommended site and three Cuban chefs?! I’ve adapted the recipe slightly adding in fresh lime juice and serrano pepper. If you prefer less heat, swap the serrano for a jalapeño or leave it out altogether. This simple salad is a fantastic sweet/savory combo and perfect for a summertime meal. Go for fresh oranges and limes for the juice over storebought. It makes all the difference!
- ⅓ cup Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Olive oil
- 1-2 Fresh oranges
- 1 Fresh lime
- 1 Serrano pepper (or jalapeño)
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 1 whole fresh pineapple
- 2 fresh avocados
- Head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 sweet red onion
The homemade citrus vinaigrette makes this salad!
What To Serve With Avocado Pineapple Salad
Avocado Pineapple Salad
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ½ tbsp serrano pepper finely chopped (or jalapeño)- these babies are hot!
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 large avocados peeled and sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 1 medium sweet red onion sliced thin
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, and sugar in a blender until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to this mixture to taste and stir in the diced serrano pepper.
- Lightly toss the lettuce, pineapple, and red onion together.
- Toss the dressing with the pineapple salad until everything is well coated.
- Garnish individual salads with a few extra avocado slices and season with salt and pepper to taste.