A nutrient-dense and protein-packed smoothie bowl recipe made with Spirulina powder, Greek yogurt, whey protein, frozen fruit, and fresh pineapple juice. This tasty smoothie bowl is perfect for a pre-workout or post-workout meal, or an epic breakfast to start your day!
What Is Spirulina?
If you're not familiar with spirulina, it's a blue-green algae, with consumption dating back to the Aztecs who used this ancient superfood to boost physical endurance and treat various diseases. Spirulina is high in a plant-based protein, call phycocyanin. It's also a source of B vitamins, copper, magnesium, and iron. The phycocyanin in spirulina is being studied for its brain-protecting, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties. If this dietary supplement lives up to the hype, it could potentially be a worthy addition to a healthy diet plan. If not, it still adds a gorgeous pop of color to your recipes without the use of synthetic food dyes. Pretty cool.
When it comes to recipes, I recommend going with the blue spirulina instead of the green. It has a neutral flavor and will take on the flavor of whatever you mix with it. The green tends to be much stronger, almost fishy tasting. You can order spirulina online or find it locally in some health and wellness stores.
Besides smoothie bowls, you can also add spirulina to baked goods, energy bites, sauces, and more!
Tips For Making Creamy Smoothie Bowls
The key to achieving the perfect smoothie bowl consistency is using frozen fruit, instead of ice. I recommend using a fruit that blends to a creamy consistency, like bananas or mangoes for a base. You also use significantly less liquid than you would when making a regular smoothie. Greek yogurt works great to boost the protein content, add creaminess, and provide live and active cultures to feed your gut microbiome.
Ingredients You'll Need For This Recipe:
- Fresh Pineapple Juice
- Frozen Mango
- Plain Greek Yogurt (I recommend 5% fat for added creaminess)
- ½ Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (about 15 grams)
- ½ tsp Spirulina Powder
Tasty Topping Ideas
The sky is the limit for topping your smoothie bowls, but here are some of my personal favorites.
- Fresh or Frozen Fruit
- Drizzled Peanut Butter (or any other nut butter variety melted slightly in the microwave)
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
- Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc.)
- Shredded Coconut
- Melted Dark Chocolate (combine it with peanut butter in a chocolate banana-based smoothie bowl...omg)
- Granola (grab my favorite homemade granola recipe...so good!)
Yes, you can easily substitute the spirulina with a powdered greens supplement or a small handful of baby spinach for a veggie boost.
Tropical Spirulina Smoothie Bowl
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- 6 oz plain Greek yogurt full-fat recommended
- ¾ cup chopped frozen mango
- 15 g vanilla protein powder about ½ standard scoop
- ½ tsp spirulina powder
- Add all ingredients into a high powered blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.