This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
*This post was sponsored by Kalettes. All opinions are my own.
Yes, that’s not a typo, Kalettes are a new veggie that blends the best characteristics of kale and brussels sprouts into one leafy power green. They are a member of the cabbage family and rich in essential nutrients like Vitamin C, B6 and K. In 1995, Dr. Jamie Claxton started mixing up brassica lines while working at Tozer Seeds, the largest family-owned vegetable breeding company in England. It took over a decade of product development to find just the right combo of different colored sprouts and kale to create this specific Kalette variety. They grow on stalks just like brussels sprouts, but have a milder and sweeter flavor profile.
Kalettes are the first vegetable to be introduced in two decades, since broccolini. When they reached out to me to create a recipe with this new veggie hybrid, I couldn’t wait to give them a try! I created an almond Kalette salad with wild blueberry dressing to enhance the natural flavor in these versatile, nutrient-dense greens. I also loved them raw, just massaged with olive oil and kosher salt.
Kalettes are great sautéed, roasted, grilled or raw. You can steam them whole or slice and dice them up for your favorite stir-fry. If you are looking for more recipe ideas, please visit their website at Kalettes.com. Some of you might be wondering, “OMG, is this some GMO frankenfood?!!” No, Kalettes are not genetically modified, they are bred through traditional hybridization. I think it’s pretty cool, actually. They took the best features kale and brussels sprouts and married them into one sweet, fresh and nutty veggie. For store locations, please visit their website for a location near you. You can also follow them on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter for more healthy inspiration.
This almond Kalette salad is a tasty way to enjoy your greens!
- For the salad:
- 12 oz Kalettes
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt to taste
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup wild frozen blueberries thawed
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp raw sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Cut the stem off the bottom of the kalettes and place into a large bowl
- Add 2 tsp olive oil to the leaves and massage leaves to thoroughly coat
- Sprinkle leaves with kosher salt and set aside to sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour all dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Toss kalette leaves with dressing and top with almonds and goat cheese.
- You can also serve dressing on the side.