A delicious Mediterranean Burger Recipe made with lean ground beef, hummus, feta cheese, herbs and spices that is moist and delicious!
*I received free samples of Sabra Spreads mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
I created this Mediterranean Burger recipe as my submission to this month’s recipe contest with The Recipe ReDux, sponsored by Sabra Dipping Company LLC. Our mission was to whip-up a tasty sandwich or wrap using their new Sabra Spreads and a good burger is definitely one of my all-time favorite sandwiches!
My husband and I are pretty much addicted to Sabra hummus. We eat it just about every day…no, I’m not exaggerating. Since I’m already a huge fan, I jumped at the chance to create something delicious with their products. One of my favorite ways to use the regular hummus, is for making hummus-stuffed hardboiled egg whites. This spread would also be epic on hardboiled eggs, so I’m definitely going to give that a shot.
This Mediterranean Burger Recipe is packed with protein!
My goal is to eat 15-20 grams of protein in my snacks and 25-30 grams of protein for my regular meals. I need creative and tasty ways to get it all in. Protein does a body good, y’all! These Mediterranean Burgers made with Sabra’s new mouthwatering spreads are packed with good-quality lean protein, healthy fats and nutrient-dense carbohydrates. I love coming up with tasty ways to get in my daily nutrition goals.
Sabra spreads make a great alternative to mayonnaise on sandwiches and in recipes. It has 75% less fat, is made with fresh ingredients and flavors and tastes really amazing. When I was brainstorming my recipe, I tried to think of my favorite things to eat with hummus. My husband loves spreading hummus on his burgers. When the spreads came in the mail, I was out of town and helped himself to a few servings. Thankfully, I had plenty left for my recipe testing!
He said this spread was awesome on burgers and chicken. This gave me the idea to use the spread in the burger patties to make the lean ground beef really moist and flavorful. Boy, did it ever!! In addition, I added a little good quality balsamic vinegar to the meat, some crumbled low-fat feta, chopped roasted red peppers, Kalamata olives, salt and fresh ground pepper.
Topping Ideas For Mediterranean Beef Burgers
I served the grilled burgers on a five grain artisan flatbread spread with a little more Sabra sea salt spread topped with a few leaves of butter lettuce, fresh baby spinach, sliced tomatoes and a nice drizzle of balsamic vinegar to finish. They were over-the-top AH-mazing! Even if my recipe doesn’t win, at least I won my husband over. These lean burgers might be his new favorite meal!
*You can also cook these in a grill pan or preheated cast iron skillet on the stovetop if you didn’t want to mess with firing-up a grill.
Mediterranean Burger RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 16 oz lean ground beef 90% or leaner, preferably 93% or less
- 1/4 cup crumbled low-fat Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers chopped (from the jar)
- 2 tbsp Sabra garlic and herb spread
- 1 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 8 large pieces butter lettuce
- 1 to mato sliced
- 1 tbsp Sabra sea salt spread for the bread
- 4 whole grain artisan flatbreads I love the high protein ones
- extra balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Combine beef, cheese, olives, red peppers, garlic and herb Sabra spread, 1 tbsp balsamic and salt and pepper, to taste in a large bowl
- Work the mixture well to get everything mixed well
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to set
- Meanwhile, heat your grill to medium-high
- Cook burgers about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare (for safety reasons, cook until meat reaches 165 degrees F)
- Spread Sabra spread onto flatbread, about 1 tsp for each (more if your heart desires)
- Top with butter lettuce, then burger, tomato, spinach and a little extra drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Serve immediately