A Mediterranean-inspired recipe for a vegetable beef stew made with lean Beef Bottom Round Roast, beef broth, red wine, vegetables, olives, and fresh herbs. This low-carb stew recipe is hearty and delicious! *This post is a collaboration with Beef. It's What's For Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own.
The Benefits of A Mediterranean Diet
I love the unique flavors and health benefits that go along with following a Mediterranean-style diet. If you've been following me for a while, you may have tried some of my other Mediterranean creations, like these Mediterranean Steak Quesadillas, my favorite Instant Pot Mediterranean Beef, and Mediterranean Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms.
Following a dietary pattern that includes lots of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, fresh herbs, and spices is not only easy but incredibly delicious, too. This diet has been shown to improve biomarkers and overall health, reducing the risk of coronary heart disease. Of course, everything can be worked into a healthy diet. Moderation and focusing on the nutrition pillars is the key.
Lean red meat is one of the protein sources that integrates beautifully in this style of eating. Carolyn Wiliams, PhD, RD highlights the benefits of adopting a Mediterranean-style diet in a recent blog post. She references a study showing that 7- 18 ounces of lean, unprocessed red meat can be incorporated into healthy eating patterns to improve cardiometabolic disease risk factors. There were equally favorable changes in the biomarkers of study participants that adopted a Mediterranean-style diet with and without red meat intake.
This recipe includes lean beef and lots of fresh vegetables and has become our new favorite stew recipe. It's hearty, nutritious and easy to prepare.
How To Make Mediterranean Vegetable Beef Stew
Ingredients You'll Need
- Beef Bottom Round Roast
- Gluten-Free all-purpose flour
- Spices: Paprika, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Fresh Thyme, Fresh Rosemary, Bay Leaves, and Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Garlic
- Beef Broth
- Red Wine
- Tomato Paste
- Vegetables: Onion, Carrots, Mushrooms, Celery, and Kale
- Green Olives
First, chop all of the vegetables and place in a large bowl.
Next, whisk the flour, garlic powder, pepper and paprika in a medium-size bowl.
Now chop the roast, trimming off any excess fat. Make sure to slice against the grain into 1" size pieces.
Toss the cubed roast in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess flour.
Heat 2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the cubed beef in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan and brown on all sides, this takes about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the beef broth to the Dutch oven and stir, making sure to scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. This creates a nice, thick base for the stew. Remove from the heat and set aside while you sauté the vegetables.
Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Return the Dutch oven with the browned beef to medium-high heat, add vegetables and all remaining ingredients, except the olives. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours. Remove the lid, add the olives, stir and cook uncovered for 30 minutes more.
Be sure to visit BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com for more recipe inspiration, cooking tips and educational resources on including beef as part of a healthy eating pattern.
Mediterranean Vegetable Beef Stew
- 2 lb Beef Bottom Round Roast (your local butcher can cut/trim this size roast for you upon request) cut into 1" chunks
- ¼ cup gluten-free all-purpose unbleached flour can also use regular unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot recommended
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 6 oz pitted green olives
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Whisk the flour, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon pepper and paprika in a medium-size bowl
- Cube Beef Bottom Round Roast, slicing against the grain, into 1" size chunks, trimming away any excess fat
- Toss cubed roast with the flour mixture until all pieces are coated on all sides, shaking off any excess flour and set aside
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat
- Add beef and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the beef broth to the Dutch oven and stir, making sure to scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom. This makes a nice, thick base for the stew. Set aside while you saute the veggies.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a separated saute pan over medium heat
- Add chopped carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms and garlic
- Cook until onions are translucent about 5-6 minutes.
- Add sauteed vegetables and all remaining ingredients, except the olives, to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- As soon as the stew begins to boil, turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours
- Remove the lid, stir in olives and cook uncovered for 30 minutes more.
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
This stew looks so warming and delicious. Perfect for winter! Love all the veggies you included in there too!
Thank you Molly! I can't have too many veggies in there! 🙂