Chocolate bran muffins are the perfect healthier way to satisfy your chocolate cravings. These double chocolate gluten-free bran muffins are made with cocoa powder, oat bran, gluten-free all-purpose flour, unsweetened almond milk, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can make these muffins dairy-free by choosing a dairy-free brand of chocolate chips.
These chocolate muffins are the perfect addition to breakfast or a filling snack or dessert. I would just add a protein shake or eggs and call it a meal. My kids love these muffins. Not to mention, it's a great way to sneak a little more fiber into their diet.
How To Make Double Chocolate Gluten-Free Bran Muffins
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Oat bran hot cereal- dry measured
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour (I use and recommend King Arthur brand)
- Cocoa powder
- Leavening ingredients: Baking powder and baking soda
- Unsweetened almond milk- I used unsweetened chocolate almond milk, but regular works fine too
- Avocado oil
- Brown sugar
- Good quality vanilla extract
- Semisweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place paper baking cups in a 12 muffin pan. Whisk together: oat bran, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining wet ingredients and brown sugar together.
Combine flour mixture and wet mixture. Stir until combined and then fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately remove muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack or serve warm.
I love to split these in half and filled with a tablespoon of peanut butter. It's like a warm Reese's peanut butter cake without the extra calories.
Double Chocolate Gluten-Free Bran Muffins
- 1 cup oat bran cereal measured dry *I used Quaker oat bran cereal
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour *King Arthur brand recommended
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk *I used Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate almond millk
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place paper baking cups in a 12 muffin pan.
- Whisk together: oat bran, gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk together wet ingredients and brown sugar until blended. You can use a stand mixer for this.
- Combine flour mixture and wet mixture.
- Stir until combined and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Immediately remove muffins from pan and cool on a wire rack or serve warm.
*This post was updated on March 31, 2020 from the original recipe post published August 19, 2011.
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023
- Easy Pancake Mix Cookies (Gluten-Free Option) - November 27, 2023
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes - November 20, 2023