This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A creamy and delicious recipe for peanut butter frosting made with creamy peanut butter, cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar.
I’ve tried a lot of peanut butter frosting recipes and this one takes the cake! It has the perfect spreading consistency and sweetness. It’s not healthy, but it is definitely fabulous!!
I made a batch of vanilla cupcakes with peanut butter frosting for the kids to celebrate our doggie’s first birthday. Our German Shorthaired Pointer, Brownie, turned one. He’s my favorite running buddy, so I made him a little doggie peanut butter treat, too. He gobbled it up in one bite, not even a crumb was left!
How To Make The Best Peanut Butter Frosting
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
8 oz low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup smooth, organic peanut butter
¼ tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tbsp milk
Beat butter, peanut butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and creamy. Slowly add confectioner’s sugar and mix until well blended. Add in vanilla and milk and mix until it’s a good spreading consistency. Enjoy on your favorite cake.
*If you haven’t ever tried Dr.Oetker’s Organic cake mixes, you are missing out. They are delicious and a great time saver if you need to bake on a busy schedule. I used the vanilla mix with my homemade frosting. I love the texture of the cupcakes baked from this mix. They are not crumbly, like regular cake mixes, but have a more dense and moist texture like a homemade version.
Our birthday boy…
The Best Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz low-fat cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup smooth organic peanut butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Beat butter, peanut butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl with an electric stand or hand mixer on medium speed until light and creamy.
- Slowly add confectioner’s sugar and mix until well blended.
- Add in vanilla and milk and mix until it’s a good spreading consistency. Use additional milk as necessary to thin out the frosting. To thicken, use more powdered sugar.
- Enjoy on your favorite cake.