This easy recipe for California Beef Burger Bowls is packed with all the tasty goodness of a California burger in a hearty salad topped with a flavorful homemade ranch vinaigrette dressing. This easy Beef recipe is on the table in 20 minutes or less! This post is a collaboration with Beef. It's What's For Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own.
I love deconstructed Beef hamburgers. In a low-carb burger bowl, you get all the delicious burger flavor, without the bun. Loaded with mixed greens and veggies, this tasty cheddar bacon ranch burger bowl recipe is packed with protein and makes a nutritious and simple meal!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This bun-less burger bowl is loaded with umami and flavor and just might convert anyone into a salad lover. Once you make this Beef burger bowl you're going to want to put it on repeat!
- It's a perfect recipe for meal prep since it's easy to store and reheat. I've included tips on the best way to store it.
- It's made with lean Ground Beef, loaded with vegetables, and contains healthy sources of fat from avocado and avocado oil. This recipe is perfect for anyone following a healthy meal plan.
- It's quick to prepare and on the table in less than 20 minutes!
Ingredients For Burger Bowls
- Lean Ground Beef- I used 93% lean Ground Sirloin. You can go even leaner if you want to further reduce the calories and fat content of the bowl.
- Lettuce- I used a blend of green leaf lettuce and butter lettuce for this recipe, but you can also change it up with your favorite lettuce variety or lettuce blend. A few more ideas are mixed artisan greens, arugula, romaine lettuce, and iceberg.
- Cherry tomatoes- I prefer Villagio Marzano tomatoes or the colorful organic Wild Wonders for salads. If tomatoes are in season, a chopped ripe beefsteak tomato would also be a delicious option.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese- The sharp cheddar adds a nice flavor punch. I always recommend shredded cheese from the block for the best taste and texture. If you don't have a salad shooter, it rocks for shredding cheese in seconds!
- Onion- This recipe calls for a mild sweet onion, but feel free to switch it up with a purple or yellow onion if you prefer a stronger onion flavor.
- Bacon- a tasty signature ingredient in California burger recipes. You can buy precooked bacon for convenience or bake it in the oven prior to making this recipe (my favorite easy method).
- Avocado- It wouldn't be a California burger without this tasty fruit.
- Pickles- Dill pickles add the perfect zesty crunch to the bowl.
Ranch Vinaigrette Ingredients
This quick and easy salad dressing has all the delicious flavor of ranch dressing in a lightened-up vinaigrette made with avocado oil and a packet of ranch dressing mix.
- Avocado Oil- This natural oil is pressed from the pulp of the avocado. Avocado oil is rich in oleic acid and leucine, this healthy fat source is perfect for salad dressings, baking, and cooking.
- Ranch Dressing Mix- this simple vinaigrette dressing uses a packet of pre-made ranch dressing to make prep a breeze.
- Raw Sugar- sugar helps to balance the flavors of the vinaigrette
- Apple Cider Vinegar- not only does vinegar add flavor to the dressing, but the acetic acid can also help you absorb the minerals in your food.
Step 1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the Ground Beef until browned and no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Drain any grease, season with salt and pepper, cover, and set aside to keep warm.
Step 2. Place all of the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk or you can also pour it into a Mason jar or dressing cruet, seal, and shake until mixed.
Step 3. Divide the lettuce between 4 large salad bowls.
Step 4. Top with the cooked Ground Beef, chopped tomatoes, sliced onion, cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, dill pickle slices, and avocado. Serve with dressing and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Make sure that you shake the dressing well to mix before serving.
- Substitute the ranch vinaigrette for Sriracha mayo or Thousand Island dressing (my other favorite burger bowl topping!).
- Swap out the lettuce base for cauliflower rice, or diced hash brown potatoes.
- Instead of adding the shredded cheddar to the salad bowl, you can sprinkle it on the cooked Ground Beef to melt right before serving.
- You can swap out the pork bacon for turkey bacon for a lighter option.
How To Assemble Burger Bowls For Meal Prep
I love making Beef burger bowls for meal prep, it's such a quick and easy meal! When assembling the bowls, use a meal prep container with a divider and put the cooked Ground Beef, cheese, and bacon on one side and all of the salad ingredients on the other, except for the avocado and the dressing. You want to wait until right before serving to add the fresh avocado. Another easy avocado option is to buy guacamole singles if you want an individual serving. These single-serving guacamole packs are perfect if you are taking the bowl for lunch and don't want to waste the extra fresh avocado. I use small dressing containers for storing dressing on the side. When you are ready to eat, place the salad ingredients in a bowl and heat the meat mixture in the microwave for one minute, or until warmed through. Top the salad with the warm burger topping, sliced avocado, and drizzle with dressing.
To refrigerate: Store burger bowl ingredients following my recommendations for meal prep for up to four days in sealed containers in the refrigerator.
To freeze: The salad ingredients cannot be frozen, but you can cook the ground beef and bacon ahead of time. As an alternative, a cauliflower rice base works great for frozen burger bowls. Divide the cooked ground beef and bacon between four freezer-safe meal prep containers and top with the shredded cheese. If you are using cooked cauliflower rice, you can add it to the bowl on the other side of the divider after it has cooled before freezing. Freeze up to 3-4 months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until heated through. When you're ready to eat the bowls, all you need to do is prep the salad for the week and you're ready to go!
More Delicious Burger Recipes
California Beef Burger Bowl
- For the burger bowl:
- 16 oz ground Sirloin Beef recommended 93% or less lean
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz lettuce I like to use ½ butter lettuce and ½ green leaf lettuce
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes sliced or chopped
- ½ sweet onion thinly sliced
- 4 oz 50% light sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices center-cut bacon cooked and chopped
- 12 dill pickle slices
- 1 large avocado sliced
- For the Ranch Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 oz packet of Ranch dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the ground beef until browned and no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Drain any grease, season with salt and pepper, cover, and set aside to keep warm.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 large salad bowls.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients into a jar, seal, and shake until mixed. You can also pour it into a jar or dressing cruet and shake until mixed.
- Top with the cooked ground beef, chopped tomatoes, sliced onion, cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, dill pickle slices, and avocado. Serve with dressing and enjoy!