This recipe for pumpkin banana muffins made with whole-grain flour, canned pumpkin, and Greek yogurt is super moist and delicious! You can easily substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour to make these muffins gluten-free!
This recipe adaptation is inspired by a recipe that my friend, Donna, had sent to me. She came up with an egg-free banana muffin recipe using canned pumpkin and wanted me to test it out. They were crazy good!! This pumpkin banana muffins recipe is loaded with flavor and tasty nutrients to fuel the body.
I used half the amount of coconut oil and substituted pureed prunes blended with plain Greek yogurt for the other half. I did this to cut calories and add a gut-friendly ingredient to the recipe. Coconut oil is a great oil option for flavor and moisture.
The prunes add fiber, moisture, and sweetness. I have the best results with King Arthur brand flour and Bob's Red Mill flour in my baking. I highly recommend their products for baking success.
Feel free to use avocado oil or olive oil for a different twist. You can also do half butter and half vanilla Greek yogurt. I also added chocolate chips (a touch my kids appreciate). Make it your own favorite version! It's fun to get creative in the kitchen.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Very ripe bananas- you want your bananas to be very soft with some spots for more intense sweetness and flavor
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Canned pumpkin- works as a sub for eggs adding moisture
- Prunes- adds sweetness and fiber
- Whole wheat pastry flour- you can also use unbleached all-purpose flour
- Plain Greek yogurt- go with 2% or full-fat for the best flavor and texture
- Brown sugar- can use coconut sugar or maple sugar for natural subs
- Vanilla extract
- Leavening ingredients: Baking powder and baking soda
- Salt- to contrast the sweetness
- *Optional- dark chocolate chips or nuts
How To Make Eggless Banana Muffins with Canned Pumpkin
Step 1. Mash bananas.
Step 2. In a separate food processor or heavy-duty blender, blend prunes with yogurt until smooth and creamy.
Step 3. Mix bananas, coconut oil, yogurt puree, sugar, and vanilla until well blended.
Step 4. Sift all dry ingredients together and gently stir into the wet mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips or nuts, if using.
Step 5. Spray muffin pans with cooking spray and fill about ⅔ full and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
More Delicious Banana Recipes
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
If you love this recipe, I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Stay posted on my latest cooking adventures through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Also, remember to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Pumpkin Banana Muffins
- 7 ripe bananas
- ½ cup extra virgin organic coconut oil can swap with avocado or olive oil
- 1 cups brown sugar can also use coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 3 cups Whole Wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 8 prunes
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips *you can also use chopped walnuts or pecans
- Mash bananas.
- In a separate food processor or heavy-duty blender, blend prunes with yogurt until smooth and creamy.
- Mix bananas, coconut oil, yogurt puree, sugar, and vanilla until well blended.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and slowly add to wet mixture.
- Mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips or nuts, if using.
- Spray muffin pans with cooking spray and fill.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
This looks yummy. Can't wait to try.
Thank you so much Robin! I love how moist how these turn out.