My friend, Donna, sent me this DELICIOUS recipe for healthier whole grain banana muffins. She’s a fabulous cook and also very health conscious, like myself. She came up with this recipe for her family and wanted me to test it out. They are crazy good!! We all love them, too.
I used half the amount of coconut oil and substituted sunsweet lighter bake for the other half. I did this to simply cut calories, since coconut oil is high in saturated fat and calories. It can be a healthier oil option, in moderation. You can also do half coconut oil and half plain or vanilla Greek yogurt if you are watching your caloric intake. I also added a few chocolate chips on top (a touch my kids appreciate). Make it your own favorite version! It’s fun to get creative in the kitchen. 🙂
Whole Grain Banana Muffins Recipe:
- 7 ripe bananas
- 1 cup extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 2 cups whey low sugar coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin sneaky sub for eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder Bob's Red Mill metal free
- 2 tsp baking soda Bob's Red Mill metal free
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Mash bananas. Mix bananas, coconut oil, sugar,
- pumpkin and vanilla until well blended.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and
- slowly add to wet mixture.
- Mix until just combined.
- Spray muffin pans with
- cooking spray and fill.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until
- toothpick comes out clean.
- Makes 24 muffins.