This DELICIOUS recipe for healthier whole grain banana muffins is egg free and super moist. This recipe adaptation is inspired by a recipe that my friend, Donna, had sent to me. She’s a fabulous cook and also really into health and wellness. She came up an egg-free recipe for healthier whole grain banana muffins for her family and wanted me to test it out. They were crazy good!! I love that she swapped pumpkin for eggs, giving a nice nutrition boost to the recipe. Great for those with egg allergies, too.
I used half the amount of coconut oil and substituted pureed prunes blended with plain Greek yogurt for the other half. I did this to cut calories and add a gut-friendly ingredient to the recipe. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat and calories. It can be a good oil option, in moderation.
The prunes add fiber, moisture and sweetness without overloading on sugar. I used mostly King Arthur brand flour and Bob’s Red Mill flour in my baking. I always have great results using their high quality products.
Feel free to use avocado oil or olive oil for a different twist. You can also do half butter and half vanilla Greek yogurt. I also added chocolate chips (a touch my kids appreciate). Make it your own favorite version! It’s fun to get creative in the kitchen. 🙂
Whole Grain Banana Muffins Recipe
*This recipe has been updated from the previous version published in Feb. 2011
Healthier Whole Grain Banana Muffins
- 7 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 cups brown sugar can also use coconut sugar or monk fruit sweetener *see link below
- 3 cups Whole Wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 8 prunes
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin sneaky sub for eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder Bob's Red Mill metal free
- 2 tsp baking soda Bob's Red Mill metal free
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips *optional
- Mash bananas. In a separate food processor or heavy duty blender (like a Vitamix) blend prunes with yogurt until smooth and creamy.
- Mix bananas, coconut oil, yogurt puree, sugar, and vanilla until well blended.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and
- slowly add to wet mixture.
- Mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
- Spray muffin pans with
- cooking spray and fill.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until
- toothpick comes out clean.
- Makes 24 muffins.