This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
My in-laws sent me home with a bunch of ripe bananas after Thanksgiving, so I was busy today baking this healthy banana bread recipe. This recipe version uses fruit puree, whole wheat flour and coconut sugar and turns out moist and delicious!
I came up with this clean eating version that I created from an old favorite recipe from my mom. It is really good for you and tastes delicious!! I tried out a new baking find, Sunsweet Lighter Bake made with pureed prunes, and the results were great!
Moist, flavorful bread without any indication that butter was missing. I want to stress the importance of using over- ripe bananas for this recipe. It makes all the difference in the sweetness and moisture.
How To Make Healthy Banana Bread
4 small, very ripe bananas or 3 large
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp of Sunsweet lighter bake(if you cannot find this item, use 1/3 cup of olive oil butter blend sticks)
1 cup coconut sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
2/3 cups chopped pecans
Mash bananas and mix with lighter bake or oil. Add coconut sugar and egg; blend.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to the mixing bowl.
Mix on low until blended. Stir in nuts.
Place in 3 small loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Check at 30 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center of a loaf. Top warm loaves with 1 tbsp smart balance tub butter and cool on wire racks.
You can wrap the loaves in saran wrap and then in foil and place in a freezer ziploc bag and freeze until ready to serve. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Yum! Yum!
Kid-Friendly Tip For Making Banana Bread
My kids love this banana bread when I substitute semi sweet chocolate chips for the nuts. I usually double my batch and separate into two bowls. I mix chocolate chips in one batch and nuts in the other. Now everyone is happy!
- 4 small very ripe bananas or 3 large
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp of sunsweet lighter bake if you cannot find this item, use 1/3 cup safflower oil or melted smart balance butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar or sucanat
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cups chopped pecans
- Mash bananas and mix with lighter bake or oil.
- Add coconut sugar and egg; blend.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low until blended.
- Stir in nuts.
- Place in 3 small loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Check at 30 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center of a loaf.
- Top warm loaves with 1 tbsp smart balance tub butter and cool on wire racks.