My in-laws sent me home with a bunch of ripe bananas after Thanksgiving, so I was busy today baking this healthy banana bread recipe. This recipe version uses fruit puree, whole wheat flour, and coconut sugar and turns out moist and delicious!
I came up with this clean eating version that I created from an old favorite recipe from my mom. It is full of nutritious goodness and tastes delicious!! I tried out a new baking find, Sunsweet Lighter Bake made with pureed prunes, and it was the perfect addition to this recipe. If you cannot find this product, avocado oil will work great, too.
Moist, flavorful bread without any indication that butter was missing. I want to stress the importance of using over-ripe bananas for this recipe. It makes all the difference in the sweetness and moisture.
How To Make Healthy Banana Bread
- Ripe Bananas
- Sunsweet lighter bake-if you cannot find this item, use ⅓ cup of avocado oil
- Coconut sugar
- Large egg
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking soda
- Chopped nuts of choice- I used pecans
Mash bananas and mix with lighter bake or oil. Add coconut sugar and egg; blend.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to the mixing bowl.
Mix on low until blended. Stir in nuts.
Place in 3 small loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Check at 30 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center of a loaf. Top warm loaves with 1 tablespoon butter and cool on wire racks.
You can wrap the loaves in saran wrap and then in foil and place in a freezer Ziploc bag and freeze until ready to serve. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Yum! Yum!
Kid-Friendly Tip For Making Banana Bread
My kids love this banana bread when I substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips for the nuts. I usually double my batch and separate it into two bowls. I mix chocolate chips in one batch and nuts in the other. Now everyone is happy!
More Easy Quick Bread Recipes
Healthy Banana Bread
- 4 small bananas very ripe, or 3 large bananas
- 2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon of sunsweet lighter bake if you cannot find this item, use ⅓ cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cups chopped pecans
- Mash bananas and mix with lighter bake or oil.
- Add coconut sugar and egg; blend.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low until blended.
- Stir in nuts.
- Place in 3 small loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Check at 30 minutes by inserting a toothpick into the center of a loaf.
- Top warm loaves with 1 tablespoon smart balance tub butter and cool on wire racks.