This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Yes, you read that correctly. These protein-packed donuts actually come out moist and delicious! They were teenager approved and let me tell you, that’s a big thumbs up! My daughter and her friend, Mia, scarfed them down after school and said that they were really good….Fruity cereal bits on top definitely didn’t hurt. The hubs loved them, too. I’m a big fan of the crunch of the cereal with the soft texture of the donut and “frosting” on top. The macros on these moist protein donuts are great! I even helped myself to a second. 😉
They are delicious pre or post workout fuel!
These donuts are delicious and we love them, but they are different than a regular fried donut. These are a more cake-like texture and not as sickening sweet. I don’t feel well when I eat one of those original sugar bombs, but I feel amazing after eating these. I’m all about tasty and nutritious substitutes for decadent treats. One of these donuts is only 144 calories, 13 grams of protein, 10 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fat! How about them macros?!!
If you like your donuts plain with some peanut butter or homemade jam spread on top, you definitely need to check out my favorite recipe for Homemade Strawberry Jam (no refined sugar), plain-they are only 112 calories, 4 grams of fat, 9 grams of carbs and 9 grams of protein unfrosted. I love cutting them in half, spreading peanut butter on one side and jam on the other and making my own epic version of a PB&J.
I used Quest’s Vanilla milkshake whey protein powder in my donut and frosting recipe. You can use your favorite vanilla protein powder, but I can’t guarantee the same results. Quest protein powders work well in baked goods because they are made with a casein and isolate blend. Protein powders differ in baked goods. Whey isolate will dry out a recipe, so go for a casein/isolate blend or plant-based protein powder for the best results. Just remember, if you switch up the ingredients it will change the nutrient profile. A tablespoon of the Fruity Pebbles cereal adds 8 calories and 2 carbs to each donut. Feel free to sub the mini chocolate chips (my favorite topper), peanut butter chips, crumbled mini heath bars, coconut, sprinkles or any other epic dessert topping. Make your own tasty version. They are delicious without any topping at all!
I did a LOT of recipe testing to come up with this version, experimenting with quite a few different protein powder brands and types and different ingredients. You get to enjoy the benefits of all that trial and error, without all the work. I hope that you love them as much as we do!
- For the donuts:
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour I love King Arthur brand
- 1/2 cup whole oats ground
- 1 large whole egg
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1/3 cup 1 oz Quest vanilla milkshake protein powder (1-28 g single serving packet)
- 1/2 cup Fairlife 2% milk
- 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- dash salt
- For the frosting:
- 1/3 cup Quest vanilla milkshake protein powder 1-28g single serving packet
- 3 tbsp 2% Fairlife milk
- 2 tsp melted Earth balance butter original
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grind the oats in a food processor until it reaches the consistency of flour
- Add all donut ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and blend until well mixed, scraping down sides a few times while mixing (batter will look fairly thin)
- Grease a 6 hole donut pan with a baking spray with flour
- Pour batter evenly into the six molds of the donut pan
- Bake 14 minutes until cooked through (do not overbake)
- Whisk the frosting ingredients together, stirring the milk and protein powder together first until smooth, then stirring in the cooled melted butter until a frosting consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle over donuts after they have cooled a bit.
- Top with 1 tbsp of your favorite cereal, mini chocolate chips or other tasty topping
- Enjoy immediately
Lean muscle fuel never tasted so good!