Sausage and egg overnight breakfast casserole is a baked egg casserole with pork sausage, onions, cheddar cheese, and spices, baked together with cubes of whole-grain bread. This delicious breakfast casserole recipe is sometimes known as a breakfast strata.
Sausage and egg breakfast casserole is super easy to throw together and really delicious for an easy breakfast or brunch. This make-ahead recipe is assembled the night before you want to serve it, then baked in the morning.
It's a big time-saver when you are feeding a crowd, especially during the holidays when you need and quick and hearty breakfast while entertaining friends and family. Things can get chaotic enough without adding complicated meal prep.
This sausage and egg overnight breakfast casserole is a tasty protein-packed meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I originally posted this recipe in January 2014 and recently updated it with some pretty new pictures. Don't worry, the recipe remained the same. Food should definitely look as good as it tastes!
How To Make Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Sprouted grain, whole-grain, or gluten-free bread cubes (depending on your dietary preference)
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (use a block of cheese and shred for best flavor)
- Chopped onion
- Dry mustard
- Medium pork sausage
- Eggs, slightly beaten
- Whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook sausage and onion, drain, crumble and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and add milk, cheese, salt and pepper, dry mustard, and sausage/onion mixture.
Spray a 9x13 (can also use a 9x11 baking dish for a fluffier casserole) baking dish with olive oil spray and place bread cubes in the bottom of the pan (make sure that cubes are in small pieces.)
Pour egg mixture on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake casserole, uncovered, for 1 hour. So simple and so delicious!
Want a slice?!
Helpful Tips For Making Overnight Casserole
- You can easily substitute lean ground beef, ground chicken, or turkey sausage for the pork sausage in this recipe
- This can also be made into a vegetarian casserole by using a mixture of sauteed vegetables in place of the sausage. I love a blend of red, yellow, and green bell peppers with mushrooms and onion. Just make sure that you drain them well before adding them to the dish. Baby spinach is also a great addition to this dish to add some fresh greens.
- You can cube the bread and shred the block of cheese and place it into separate sealed containers, and cook the sausage and onion several days in advance of assembling the casserole. Then, all you need to do is whisk the eggs with the seasonings and milk and assemble the casserole the night before baking.
- In a pinch, you can also assemble and bake this casserole all in one day, but it will turn out fluffier since the bread doesn't have time to soak up more of the liquid. I have done this and it still turns out great in a time crunch!
More Favorite Breakfast Recipes
Sausage and Egg Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 4 cups sprouted grain, whole-grain or gluten-free bread cubes depending on your dietary preference, remove crust and tear bread into small pieces
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese shredded (use a block of cheese and shred for best flavor)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 lbs medium pork sausage browned and drained
- 12 eggs slightly beaten
- 4 cups whole milk
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cook sausage and onion, drain, crumble and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and add milk, cheese, salt and pepper, dry mustard and sausage/onion mixture.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil spray and place bread cubes in the bottom of the pan (make sure that cubes are in small pieces.)
- Pour egg mixture on top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake casserole, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Meal Prep Healthy Egg McMuffin Copycat (High Protein High Fiber) - February 26, 2024
- Breakfast Ground Turkey Quinoa Bowl - February 12, 2024
- Easy Greek Air Fryer Halibut (Oven Baked Option) - February 7, 2024