This easy recipe for sausage egg muffins is the perfect healthy breakfast for someone looking for a well-rounded meal or snack that will keep them full and satisfied. Simply whisk together eggs, sausage, cheese, and green chilis for a bit of spice, then bake up in the oven. Great for meal prep and those following a keto or low-carb lifestyle!
If you’re looking for a high-protein breakfast that’s filling and satisfying, you’ll want to keep this recipe on your rotation to make each week. Not only does this breakfast take little time to make, but it makes eating healthy on the go much easier which will help you stick to your goals.
Despite the name, these sausage egg muffins don’t contain any flour at all! Eggs are mixed with cheese and sausage and then baked in a greased muffin tin for a quick breakfast in a portable muffin shape that both kids and adults can enjoy!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It’s made with simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store making it a budget-friendly breakfast option.
- You can eat these egg sausage cheese muffins hot or cold making them great for on the go at work or while you're out and about.
- Make a big batch and freeze the rest for future high-protein fuel.
- They can be eaten for breakfast or as a healthy snack.
- You can customize the ingredients and add whatever meat, cheese, or veggies you enjoy.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Ground Pork Sausage - Pork sausage adds a good amount of protein, fats, and flavor to the muffins and helps keep them filling.
- Eggs - Not only do eggs have great nutrition, but they also help bind all the ingredients together so they set properly.
- Green Chilis - Add a hint of spice and a pop of green color that pairs well with the egg and sausage.
- Reduced-Fat Cheddar - Gives each muffin a bite of cheddar cheese. You can use reduced-fat or full fat depending on your goals.
- Garlic Salt & Black Pepper - These basic seasonings help balance out all the flavors in the egg muffins.
- Non-Stick Olive Oil Spray - You’ll need a good non-stick cooking spray to grease the muffin tins to prevent them from sticking.
How To Make Sausage & Egg Muffin Cups
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a muffin pan with a generous coating of non-stick spray.
Step 2. Brown the pork sausage in a medium-size skillet until browned and crumbled, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
Step 3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the green chilis, garlic salt, pepper, cooked sausage, and shredded cheese.
Step 4. Pour egg muffin mixture into 12 greased muffin cups (cups will be full).
Step 5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Mine were perfectly done at 25 minutes. Oven temps can vary, so check muffins at 20 minutes for doneness.
- It’s important to make sure the cheese you use is shredded straight from the block for the best taste and texture as pre-shredded cheese contains anti-caking ingredients. The best way to shred cheese quickly is by using a salad shooter!
- While the egg muffins are baking, they will rise. Once they are removed from the oven the air will release and they will sink back down.
- Make sure all of your ingredients are whisked fully to make sure there is sausage, cheese and green chilis in every muffin.
- When adding the ground pork sausage to the egg mixture, drain as much fat as possible and cool before adding to the egg mixture to prevent it from partially cooking the eggs.
- Every oven heats differently, so make sure you test your egg muffins at the 20-minute mark with a toothpick to see if they are cooked through.
- For a leaner sausage and egg muffin use ground turkey sausage or lean ground chicken or beef to reduce fat content.
- Use your favorite type of shredded cheese such as; gouda, pepper jack, Colby jack, or swiss cheese.
- Add your favorite seasonings to the egg mixture such as; taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning, or adding a bit of cayenne pepper for spice.
- Add some small diced bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, green onions, spinach, or your favorite greens.
- Reserve some shredded cheese before whisking it into the egg mixture to add on top before baking for a cheesy crust on top.
Storing & Freezing
- Storing: Store cooked and cooled egg muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or serve cold.
- Freezing: To freeze, cover each muffin in plastic wrap tightly then add to a freezer-safe bag or airtight container for up to 4 months. Let thaw completely in the refrigerator overnight before reheating and serving.
You can eat as many as you want according to your goals, I usually eat 2 per meal.
If you use this recipe, each muffin will have approximately 13 grams of protein. This will change based on the individual ingredients used. Check your labels for the most accurate information.
Yes, you can! But be aware that some of the egg is more likely to stick to the paper and may spill into the muffin tin when rising.
More Breakfast Muffins You'll Love
If you love this recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Sausage Egg Muffins
- ½ lb ground pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- 4 oz can green chilis
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 oz reduced-fat sharp cheddar shredded from the block
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- non-stick olive oil spray for greasing the muffin pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Brown the pork sausage in a medium-size skillet until browned and crumbled, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the green chilis, garlic salt, pepper, cooked sausage, and shredded cheese.
- Pour egg muffin mixture into 12 greased muffin cups (cups will be full).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Mine were perfectly done at 25 minutes. Oven temps can vary, so check muffins at 20 minutes for doneness.
- Easy Instant Pot Crack Chicken - December 6, 2023
- Easy Hot Cocoa Mug Cake (Gluten-Free) - December 4, 2023
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023