This flavorful recipe for homemade strawberry muffins uses a blend of Greek yogurt and butter with fresh ripe strawberries to create the perfect muffin texture with just the right amount of sweetness. You end up with a lighter muffin recipe that's just as amazing as the original!
I've got a thing for muffins. They are basically cupcakes without frosting. When you add in fresh ripe berries it's a magical mix. Since eating cake for breakfast isn't exactly the breakfast of champions, I've created the next best thing. These flavorful muffins clock in under 200 calories each with 5 grams of protein, so you can have your cake and eat it, too.
How To Make Healthier Strawberry Muffins
I wanted to achieve a healthier muffin that rivaled it's more decadent counterpart that still had the traditional muffin flavor and texture that we've all come to love. This recipe had to pass a taste test from my family, most importantly my kids, to make it onto the blog. After all, they are my best, and toughest critics. I knew if these Greek yogurt muffins made them swoon, then it's a recipe win. We all fell in love with this recipe, and best of all, these from-scratch muffins are super easy to make. Also, don't skip the fresh orange zest! It's the perfect complement to the strawberries and the combination of Greek yogurt, butter, and milk creates a soft, moist, and fluffy muffin texture.
The first step to making these muffins is to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Next, wash the berries, pat them dry, slice off the stem, and chop them into small pieces.
Next, whisk the first five dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except the strawberries. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and blend on low in a stand mixture or by hand with a wooden spoon until combined. Gently fold in the berries.
Next, divide the batter evenly among 12 greased muffin tins. You can also use muffin liners for easier clean-up. Next, sprinkle the top of the batter with a little coarse turbinado sugar. This is optional but highly recommended.
Bake muffins for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serve warm or room temperature with a smear of butter...heaven, or with a generous spoonful of homemade strawberry jam.
I haven't tested the results with a sugar-alternative, but you could easily swap out the regular sugar for Truvia cane sugar blend or Whole Earth sweetener. I find that I get better results with the blended sugar alternatives.
This recipe works great as a base muffin recipe, so feel free to swap out the strawberries for other sweet and ripe berry varieties.
Make sure that the muffins have completely cooled and store them in an airtight container lined with a paper towel for up to 3 days. The paper towel helps prevent your muffins from becoming soggy. To freeze: wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them into an airtight freezer container and freeze up to 3 months.
After removing frozen muffins from the freezer, thaw at room temperature for one hour. You can reheat them in the microwave for up to 10-30 seconds (depending on the wattage), or slice them in half and warm them in a toaster oven (my preferred method).
More Favorite Strawberry Recipes
Strawberry Frozen Fruit Ice Cream (packed with protein)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour You can also use a blend of whole grain and unbleached white flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 7 oz plain Greek yogurt 4-5 % fat (I use the full-fat yogurt)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk I used whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one small orange
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, yogurt, eggs, milk, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and blend with a wooden spoon or with a mixer on low until blended.
- Gently fold in the chopped fresh strawberries.
- Divide the batter among 12 greased muffin tins (I use cooking spray).
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Easy Instant Pot Crack Chicken - December 6, 2023
- Easy Hot Cocoa Mug Cake (Gluten-Free) - December 4, 2023
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023