This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Fresh strawberry pie is just one of the many reasons that I love strawberry season in Georgia. This no sugar added strawberry pie recipe is easy to make, too! *This post has been updated in August 2019 from the original post published in May 2013.
Make sure that you use fresh, ripe, and sweet berries for this dessert recipe. It will really enhance the flavor. You’ll never know that this dessert has no refined sugars and is made with a zero-calorie natural sugar alternative. This dessert works great in a low-carb diet using a grain-free crust!
If you are looking for a grain-free crust option, this Coconut Almond Pie Crust is easy and tasty. I also love the regular and gluten-free ready-made pie crusts from Wholly Wholesome. Their traditional crust is what I used for this recipe. You can find this brand in the organic freezer section of most grocery stores. If you have a favorite homemade pie crust recipe, that’s perfect too.
I love Whole Earth sweetener and use it in a lot of my baking recipes these days. It’s sweet, flavorful, natural and doesn’t alter the taste of foods or leave a weird aftertaste (like some artificial sweeteners…bleh!) I encourage you to try baking with it if you haven’t already. It’s made with a blend of erythritol, stevia leaf extract, and monk fruit extract.
If you want to stick with a traditional version, feel free to substitute sugar for the Whole Earth sweetener in this recipe. I have recipe tested this strawberry pie with the Whole Earth sweetener with great results. My family gobbled it up! Don’t skip the whipped cream, even if you go with a sugar-free Redi Whip for convenience. It’s the perfect compliment for this no-bake strawberry pie.
My fresh strawberry pie all started with these gorgeous, freshly picked berries from Southern Belle Farm in Georgia.
How beautiful are these strawberry fields?! It’s been a fun tradition in our family to pick seasonal berries at local farms.
How To Make A No-Sugar-Added Fresh Strawberry Pie
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Ingredients You’ll Need:
1 ready-made pie crust, baked and cooled
8 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed, gently rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
1/2 cup Whole Earth sweetener (or 2/3 cup if using sugar)
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp water
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp salt
First zest the orange, slice in half and juice. You’ll only need 2 tbsp of the juice for the recipe.
Wash and hull all the berries and pat dry.
Slice berries into fourths (around 1/2′ pieces). Place 1/4 of the strawberries in a saucepan and set the rest aside.
Using a potato masher, thoroughly mash the strawberries in the saucepan.
Next, mix the mashed strawberries, orange juice, water, cornstarch, sweetener and salt.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture has cooked down and thickened. It will become gel-like, resembling the texture of jam. This process only takes about 3-5 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
Stir cooked strawberry mixture together with the remaining berries until thoroughly mixed and pour into the cooked pie shell.
Enjoy right away, slightly warm or refrigerate for 4 hours until filling is set. Garnish with fresh mint and homemade whipped cream, if desired (see below for recipe). Store in the refrigerator. Best if eaten within 2-3 days. However, I don’t think that will be a problem. 😉
How To Make Homemade Whipped Cream For Fresh Strawberry Pie
Ingredients You’ll Need:
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp Whole Earth sweetener (or sugar)
2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat just until stiff peaks form. Serve on top of pie with a garnish of fresh mint, if desired.
Best Ever No Sugar Added Fresh Strawberry Pie
- 1 ready-made pie crust baked and cooled or your favorite pie crust recipe
- 8 cups fresh strawberries stems removed, gently rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
- 1/2 cup Whole Earth sweetener or 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For Homemade Whipped Cream:
- 1 tbsp Whole Earth sweetener or superfine sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- First zest the orange, slice in half and juice. You'll only need 2 tbsp of the juice for the recipe.
- Wash and hull all the berries and pat dry.
- Slice berries into fourths (around 1/2' pieces).
- Place 1/4 of the strawberries in a saucepan and set the rest aside.
- Using a potato masher, thoroughly mash the strawberries in the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture has cooked down and thickened. It will become gel-like, resembling the texture of jam. This process only takes about 3-5 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
- Next, mix the mashed strawberries, orange juice, water, cornstarch, sweetener and salt.
- Combine cooked berry mixture with remaining berries until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour strawberries into cooked pie shell and serve warm or refrigerate for a couple of hours to set.
- Make the whipped cream by combining the heavy cream, tbsp of Whole Earth sweetener and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat just until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish pie with fresh mint and homemade whipped cream, if desired.
If you make this fresh strawberry pie, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram @ameessavorydish! I love seeing your creations!