This is a lightened-up, quick, and easy chicken parmesan recipe that the whole family will love. If you don't have time to prepare a homemade marinara recipe, substitute your favorite store-bought marinara sauce. Traditional chicken parmesan uses egg and breadcrumbs. I prefer this lighter variation. You still get all the flavor without as much breading.
How To Make Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
6 (4 0z) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ cup white whole wheat flour (or spelt flour)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought)
4 oz freshly grated mozzarella cheese
4 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a shallow dish, mix flour, sea salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Dredge chicken breasts in flour mixture and shake off excess. Discard any extra flour mixture. Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts.
Saute chicken breasts until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and top the chicken breasts with the 2 cups of marinara sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
What To Serve With Baked Chicken Parmesan
For a quick and easy low-carb option, we love Palmini hearts of palm linguine. Just open up the can, drain and warm.
I also like sautéeing zucchini noodles to replace pasta. This Zucchini Spaghetti Bolognese post explains how I make them and my favorite slicer that I recommend for making vegetable noodles. Shredded spaghetti squash is another great low-carb option. If you prefer regular pasta noodles, there are great high fiber and protein-enriched varieties. For an added protein boost, I recommend Barilla Plus pasta. My kids love it and you'd never taste the difference!
Try this healthier twist for chicken parmesan to save calories without sacrificing taste!
This easy protein-packed meal is a family favorite around here!
*This post has been updated on March 20, 2020 from the original post published May 18, 2011.
Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts 4 oz each
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour or spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce homemade or your favorite store-bought brand
- 4 oz freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, mix flour, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Dredge chicken breasts in flour mixture and shake off excess. Discard extra flour mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute chicken breasts until lightly golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and top with the 2 cups of marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
This looks very very AWESOME 🙂 adding to my must try folder!
Thanks, Angie:) We love just about anything Italian in this house!
I love that this is a healthier version. Bookmarking it. Thank you!Liz