This delicious roasted sweet potato salad is the perfect combination of flavor and texture with toasted walnuts, goat cheese, and a tangy balsamic dressing. *This post is sponsored by Newman's Own. All opinions are my own.
This roasted sweet potato salad is hearty enough to be a meal. If you're a big fan of roasted tubers, you should definitely try them in salad tossed with nuts and greens. I'm a huge fan of sweet potatoes. They are one of my favorite sources of post-workout carbs. If you are looking for a unique twist on stuffed baked potatoes, you should definitely try these Beef Sausage, Kale & Aged Cheddar Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. When I was going through my Paleo phase, this Jalapeño Scrambled Eggs with Pan-Fried Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes recipe was a breakfast favorite. I'm definitely not a strict Paleo eater anymore, but I still love that breakfast combo! Another sweet potato favorite you should try are these Sweet Potato Protein Muffins. Crazy good! They taste a lot like pumpkin pie, really dense and mildly sweet.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Are Incredible In Salad!
Ok, enough recipe reminiscing. I must be really hungry right now. Back to this amazing salad! I can't tell you how good all these flavors and textures are together in one, nutrient-dense, bowl. The goat cheese also takes this salad to a whole new level and if you don't love goat cheese, feel free to substitute your favorite cheese in this recipe.
I've partnered with Newman's Own Organics to create a tasty salad to serve with one of their organic salad dressing options. They have 5 different varieties to choose from, including Ranch, Olive Oil & Vinegar, Italian, Caesar, and Balsamic Vinaigrette. The balsamic is my personal favorite. As I mentioned in my Spaghetti Squash Meatball Casserole post that I also created for Newman's Own, they are a company after my own heart.
I love their generosity when it comes to charitable causes that they support through the Newman’s Own Foundation. I’ve been a loyal consumer of their products for years, so it's so awesome to have an opportunity to work together on a couple of recipe creations. Be sure and check out all of their organic products and their mission to give 100% of their profits to charity on their website.
The first step in creating this salad is roasting the potatoes. I leave the skins on my sweet potatoes for added fiber and nutrients, but you can also peel them if you like them naked.
Next, sauté the onions and pancetta until the onions are soft and pancetta starts to turn a nice golden brown.
After the pancetta mixture is done, set aside and wipe excess oil out of the pan. Turn the heat to medium-high and toast the walnuts, constantly stirring until fragrant.
Toss all ingredients together in a large salad bowl. Drizzle Newman's Own Balsamic dressing over top, toss to coat, serve and enjoy.
This flavorful Roasted Sweet Potato Salad will have you craving your greens!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sweet onion finely diced
- 4 oz pancetta finely diced
- 8 oz artisan salad greens
- 2 oz goat cheese crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bottle Newman's Own Balsamic vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop sweet potatoes (leaving skin on...good nutrients in there) into small cubes.
- Spread cubed sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and roast for 25 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, spray a medium skillet with olive oil and heat to medium heat.
- Saute pancetta and onion until onion is soft and pancetta starts turning a little golden brown.
- Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and add walnuts to the pan.
- Toast walnuts on med/high heat stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly golden (be careful not to burn).
- Cool nuts and set aside.
- When potatoes are done, cool to room temperature, then assemble your salad.
- Place greens in a large bowl, top with sweet potatoes, pancetta mixture, goat cheese and walnuts.
- Right before serving, drizzle with desired amount of balsamic vinaigrette and toss to mix.