This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is making a tasty meal with whatever ingredients you already have on hand. I love a good “fridge dump” day, don’t you?!! Not to mention, it’s always nice to save $ and utilize things you already have in the house. I hate pulling things out of the fridge and finding a new science experiment in the back. The fridge can seem like a giant black hole and I hate wasting food! It’s a great idea to inventory our food stash a couple times a week to see what we can create out of what we already have on hand. I’ve come up with some of my favorite soups and recipes this way, like this Skillet Pesto Chicken recipe that actually ended up being featured in Parade magazine. All because of a little fridge dump inspiration!
We had our traditional corned beef meal for St. Patrick’s Day, so I wanted to come up with a yummy recipe with our leftovers. I’m crazy about good pan of corned beef hash. You know, when it’s really crispy and topped with a runny-yolk egg….heaven. It’s one of my favorite breakfast dishes. I’m getting really hungry just thinking about it. I happened to have a bag of potatoes in the fridge and I always have eggs, onions and cheese on hand, so why not come up with a fun twist on an old favorite?!
I used the Cabot’s extra light sharp cheese for this dish, because it’s high in protein and really low in fat. It also tastes great and adds the cheesy flavor we love in a comfort food dish. It’s also great that Publix had it on sale last week buy one get one free, so I stocked up. It’s one of the few cheeses that I can digest well because it’s lactose-free. It also is one of my favorite cheeses when it comes to flavor and texture. I always shred my cheese from the block. It tastes SO much better when it’s freshly grated. Also, *kitchen hack* I use a salad shooter to grate cheese. It’s done in seconds and comes out perfectly grated every time! No need for sore wrists from trying to shred cheese with a hand-held grater.
Corned Beef Hash Breakfast Casserole
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 20 oz bag refrigerated shredded potatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1-2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 oz cooked corned beef chopped
- 8 oz Cabot sharp extra light cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil
- Cook onion and corned beef on medium heat until onions are soft and corned beef is slightly browned
- Transfer onion beef mixture to a small bowl and set aside
- Add olive oil to the pan and add potatoes when the oil is hot.
- Cook shredded potatoes 6-7 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 6-8 more minutes
- Season with rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add corned beef and onions and cheese to the pan and stir to mix. Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into a 8 1/2 x 11 casserole dish.
- Make six indentions with the back of an ice cream scoop or large spoon and drop a whole raw egg in each hole. Bake casserole for 20 minutes or until eggs are just set.
- Garnish with parsley, if using.
- Serve immediately.
Here’s the salad shooter that I have and LOVE. I use it on a weekly basis and it’s still running strong(*affiliate link)