This Skillet Pesto Chicken is one of those fly by the seat of my pants dinners, where I was using up things that I had in the fridge. I love fridge dump day, it’s seriously therapeutic to use up what you have on hand and have it turn out to be a pretty darn tasty meal.
I’m kind of obsessed with homemade pesto. I like to make it fresh in the summer when I have basil coming out of my eyeballs. However, my harvest is over and it’s expensive to buy fresh basil and all of the separate ingredients, so then I cheat and buy it.
If you’re a purist, you should try my homemade pesto recipe. It’s so good and easy! There are a lot of tasty pre-made pestos out there, just check the label ingredients for a minimal amount of ingredients. It should contain olive oil, basil, garlic, nuts and sometimes cheese but not many other ingredients.
This Skillet Pesto Chicken is a new weeknight favorite. It’s great all by itself with a heaping side of green vegetables or serve it on top of whole grain pasta or brown rice.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup good quality pesto sauce jarred or homemade
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Chop chicken breasts into bite-size pieces
- Place flour and cayenne pepper in a large ziplock bag and shake to mix
- Add chicken to bag and shake to evenly coat all pieces
- Remove chicken from bag and shake off any excess flour
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add chicken to pan and cook until all pieces are beginning to brown to a light, golden color about 5-7 minutes
- Remove chicken from pan and cover to keep warm
- Add butter and mushrooms to the skillet and cook until mushrooms are nicely golden, about 5-7 minutes
- Add chicken, chicken broth, cream and pesto to pan and stir to combine.
- Cook for a few minutes more until sauce has started to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Top with freshly grated parmesan, if desired
- Serve immediately