This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This low-carb and keto diet-friendly skillet Tarragon chicken recipe is made with boneless skinless chicken breasts, prosciutto ham, mushrooms, dry white wine (or chicken broth), cream, and fresh herbs. Best of all this skillet chicken recipe is easy to make and ready in 30 minutes! *You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by substituting the regular flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts- cut into bite-size pieces so it soaks up all that scrumptious sauce. Trust me on this one. You can use 6 (4 oz) breasts, as long as they are small and not too thick, but it's much better flavor and texture-wise if you cut it up and allow the flavor to infuse each and every bite.
- All-purpose flour- I always use a good-quality unbleached flour. King Arthur brand is my go-to.
- Olive oil- again go with a good-quality EVOO here
- White mushrooms- sliced. I buy the mushrooms already sliced so it saves me an extra step when I'm cooking.
- Prosciutto ham- Most grocery stores carry prosciutto already diced, which is great for saving time. You can also use good-quality thick-cut bacon diced up for this recipe. However, the prosciutto is leaner than bacon and packs a flavor punch with less fat and fewer calories.
- Dry White Wine- Go with a good Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Pinot Gris for this recipe. I love using the single-serving mini box wines for cooking so I don't open a whole bottle for one recipe. You can also substitute chicken stock for the wine or do half wine, half stock. I highly recommend using wine if you have it available.
- Heavy cream- Don't go low-fat here, it will comprise the flavor and texture of the sauce. Trust me, it's totally worth it.
- Fresh herbs- This recipe calls for fresh tarragon and fresh chives. I don't recommend using dried herbs for this recipe. The fresh herbs add a flavor punch that makes this dish sing!
First, combine the chopped chicken breasts, flour, salt, and pepper in a sealable bag, and shake until all of the pieces of chicken are individually coated with a thin coating of the flour mixture.
Next, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until lightly golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the prosciutto and mushrooms to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and starting to brown, and prosciutto is lightly golden and mostly rendered of the fat. Add the wine, heavy cream, and chicken to the pan and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low-medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in tarragon and vinegar and garnish with chives.
What To Serve With Tarragon Chicken
I love to serve this dish over freshly sautéed or steamed zucchini or butternut squash noodles, but it also pairs beautifully with your favorite regular or low-carb pasta. You can even serve this dish over steamed rice or mashed potatoes. If you haven't made slow cooker mashed potatoes, you should definitely give that a go! You're going to want to drink this cream sauce it's so damn good, so anything that you serve with this dish that can soak up this sauce is absolutely perfect. 😉
If you would rather make this recipe with whole chicken breasts, look for small 4oz size breasts and pound them thinner with a meat mallet if the breast is thick. This way more of the chicken breast can soak up the sauce. I've made it both ways with delicious results.
Chopped (my favorite version)
Whole breasts (also great, but each bite is not as saucy)
More Easy Skillet Chicken Recipes
Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan (made in a cast-iron skillet)
Skillet Tarragon Chicken
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour can also sub with gluten-free all-purpose flour (King Arthur brand recommended)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- 3 oz prosciutto ham finely diced. You can also use finely chopped thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup dry white wine can also substitute with chicken broth or do half wine half broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place it into a sealable bag along with flour, salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and shake until all pieces are coated with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add the chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes until lightly golden brown on all sides. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the prosciutto and mushrooms to the pan and cook until the mushrooms begin to brown and prosciutto is lightly golden and mostly rendered of fat, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine, heavy cream, and chicken to the pan and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in tarragon and apple cider vinegar until combined.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve immediately.
- Herb-Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans - February 8, 2021
- 50 Easy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes - February 3, 2021
- Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie - February 1, 2021