If you shy away from cooking frozen broccoli because you find it soggy and bland, then you need to try this easy and flavorful roasted frozen broccoli recipe! It makes frozen broccoli irresistible, you will probably even go back for seconds.
Let's face it, frozen vegetables are not very palatable unless you doctor them up in some way. However, they are SO easy and convenient and sometimes more affordable than fresh vegetables. In addition, buying vegetables that are frozen is a great way to enjoy vegetables that aren't currently in season.
When someone tells me that they don't like eating vegetables, I figure that it's probably because they've never had them prepared in a way that makes them taste really good. Plain steamed vegetables are boring and the texture can be off-putting. Vegetables cooked without seasoning are also not exactly enticing. It's all about the preparation method and seasoning that turns them into a craveable side dish.
How To Make Roasted Frozen Broccoli
Ingredients You'll Need:
1 (32 oz) bag frozen broccoli florets
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Zest of 1 whole lemon (about 1 tsp)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
¼ cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Olive oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, toss frozen broccoli florets with olive oil, lemon zest, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Spread seasoned broccoli onto the parchment-lined pan, making sure that they are spaced out to evenly roast, and spray with a little olive oil cooking spray. You may need to use two baking sheets, depending on the size.
How Long To Roast Frozen Broccoli
Roast frozen broccoli for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. I roast mine for 25 minutes for a little extra crispiness. As soon as the broccoli emerges from the oven, sprinkle with the freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese (you can also use Parmesan). Serve immediately.
Tip For Roasting Frozen Vegetables:
Make sure that you use a regular baking sheet, preferably well-seasoned, not an airbake baking sheet for this recipe. Also, don't skip the cheese in this recipe. It's a hard, salty Italian cheese made from sheep's milk. It tastes similar to Parmesan and adds so much flavor to this dish.
*This post has been updated on January 16, 2020 from the original post published September 12, 2012.
Amazing Roasted Frozen Broccoli
- 32 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest about one whole lemon zested
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a large bowl, toss frozen broccoli with olive oil, zest, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Spread seasoned broccoli onto the parchment-lined pan, making sure that they are spaced out to evenly roast, and spray with a little olive oil cooking spray
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden (I roast mine for 25 minutes for a little extra crispiness)
- As soon as the broccoli comes out of the oven, sprinkle with the freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
- Serve immediately.