Southern style collard greens are a delicious and easy, classic southern side dish made using fresh collard greens, onions, garlic, and bacon fat.
The southern style collard greens recipe is easy to make, and the greens are a perfect side to serve with ham or pork.
I hope you’ll try, and enjoy, these southern style collard greens!
Southern Style Collard Greens
- 10 cups fresh collard greens, rinsed and chopped (hard stems removed)
- l vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp bacon fat
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 quart +2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or a little more to taste)
- 1 tsp tabasco
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Heat the bacon fat in a large stock pot over medium-high heat until melted. Add onions and sauté until lightly browned. Add greens and all other ingredients and bring the pot to a full boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about an hour or until greens are nice and tender.