A healthier and easy recipe for homemade slow cooker southern ham vegetable soup made with leftover ham bone with meat and mixed frozen vegetables.
My daughter declared his Slow Cooker Southern Ham Vegetable Soup as her absolute favorite meal. Weird that she'd pick soup, right?! It's actually one of my favorites, too. This soup is hearty, nutritious, super tasty, and perfect for a chilly day. I love to make it to use up leftover ham. Sometimes I cheat and buy a Honey baked Ham. They are crazy good, even cold, straight out of the refrigerator. That crust!!! How do they do that?! I haven't mastered it yet, but I'm determined to duplicate it.
I love it when we have leftovers for sandwiches and soup. This year, we had quite a bit left so I trimmed off all of the sugary crust and top layer of fat. I used the entire ham bone with about 1 -2 pounds of meat left in the slow cooker with all of the soup ingredients. The meat just fell off the bone and it gave this soup epic flavor!
You might think that a sweeter ham, other than a smoked ham, wouldn't be good in a soup. After the sweet crust is trimmed away, there's only a hint of sweetness left and it really does compliment the flavors in the soup. You can use smoked ham or regular baked ham and it would still turn out delicious, just a slightly different flavor profile. Just use the one you like best!
In the wintertime, I'm a soup girl. I love making a lot of different hearty soups when it's cold outside. It's just the ultimate comfort food. This soup recipe is packed with good nutrition. A few more of my comfort soup favorites are Gluten-Free Lasagna Soup, Cajun Fish Soup, Italian Sausage and Ravioli Soup, Artichoke Soup, Paleo Meatball Soup, Shrimp Coconut Curry Soup, and Chicken Tortellini Soup.
Not to mention, this soup is a delicious way to get your daily serving of veggies!
Do you know what goes perfectly with a big bowl of this ham vegetable soup?? A slice of homemade cornbread....yum. This Jalapeño Cornbread recipe from Simply Recipes is one you should definitely try. Delicious!!
If you love this recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Slow Cooker Southern Ham Vegetable Soup
- 1 ham bone with meat
- 45 oz frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas, and lima beans) 3 (15 oz) bags
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups organic tomato juice I used & R.W. Knudsen Tomato Red Bell Pepper juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon green Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- enough water to cover the top of the vegetables
- Place ham bone in the slow cooker
- Add vegetables, bay leaf, pepper and diced tomatoes
- Stir together tabasco, tomato juice, tomato paste and chicken broth until blended
- Add to slow cooker and top with just enough water to cover the top of the vegetables
- Cook 8 hours on low, pull meat from bone and stir into soup before serving.
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023
- Easy Pancake Mix Cookies (Gluten-Free Option) - November 27, 2023
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes - November 20, 2023