My daughter declared his Slow Cooker Southern Ham Vegetable Soup as her absolute favorite meal. Weird that she’d pick soup, right?! It’s actually one of my favorites, too. This soup is hearty, nutritious, super tasty and perfect for a chilly day. I love to make it to use up leftover ham. Sometimes I cheat and buy a Honeybaked Ham. They are crazy good, even cold, straight out of the refrigerator. That crust!!! How do that do that?! I haven’t mastered it yet, but I’m determined to duplicate it.
I love when we have leftovers for sandwiches and soup. This year, we had quite a bit left so I trimmed off all of the sugary crust and top layer of fat. I used the entire ham bone with about 1 -2 pounds of meat left in the slow cooker with all of the soup ingredients. The meat just fell off the bone and it gave this soup epic flavor!
You might think that a sweeter ham, other than a smoked ham, wouldn’t be good in a soup. After the sweet crust is trimmed away, there’s only a hint of sweetness left and it really does compliment the flavors in the soup. You can use a smoked ham or regular baked ham and it would still turn out delicious, just a slightly different flavor profile. Just use the one you like best!
In the wintertime, I’m a soup girl. I love making a lot of different hearty soups when it’s cold outside. It’s just the ultimate comfort food. This soup recipe is packed with good nutrition from a variety of vegetables. A few more of my comfort soup favorites are Gluten Free Lasagna Soup, Cajun Fish Soup, Italian Sausage and Ravioli Soup, Artichoke Soup, Paleo Meatball Soup, Shrimp Coconut Curry Soup and Chicken Tortellini Soup.
This slow cooker southern ham vegetable soup is a delicious way to get your daily serving of veggies! What is your favorite hearty soup recipe?
- 1 ham bone with meat
- 3 15 oz bags frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas and lima beans)
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups organic tomato juice I used & R.W. Knudsen Tomato Red Bell Pepper juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp green Tabasco sauce
- 2 tsp pepper
- enough water to cover the top of the vegetables
- Place ham bone in the slow cooker
- Add vegetables, bay leaf, pepper and diced tomatoes
- Stir together tabasco, tomato juice, tomato paste and chicken broth until blended
- Add to slow cooker and top with just enough water to cover the top of the vegetables
- Cook 8 hours on low, pull meat from bone and stir into soup before serving.
Do you know what goes perfectly with a big bowl of this Slow Cooker Southern Ham Vegetable Soup?? A slice of homemade cornbread….yum. This Jalapeño Cornbread recipe from Simply Recipes is one you should definitely try. Delicious!!