I love this hearty and flavorful Italian Sausage and Ravioli Soup soup during the cold winter months. It’s the perfect bowl of comfort food. Nothing is better than a hot pot of soup and warm bread on a cold winter day.
I originally got this amazing recipe from my mother-in-law, but it was prepared with tortellini pasta instead of ravioli. My friend, Elizabeth, in Ohio also brought this soup, using tortellini, to our recipe club for Italian night. It’s delicious and I wanted to make sure and share it with all my foodie peeps.
I have made a few changes from the original recipe to make it my own and feel free to make substitutions to suit your taste buds. Using ravioli with a variety of complimentary fillings is a fun way to change it up. Enjoy!!
Italian Sausage and Ravioli Soup
Italian Sausage and Ravioli soupPrint Pin Rate
- 3 links of sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cartons beef broth
- 1 cup red wine never use a wine in your cooking that you wouldn't drink-make it a good one
- 1 can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp organic sugar
- 3 shredded carrots
- 2 zucchini cut into small chunks
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves stems removed
- 1 tsp dried basil or 4 large basil leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 container of Buitoni whole wheat four cheese ravioli in the refrigerator pasta section of your grocery store
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Brown sausage in a large pot ( I love my enameled cast iron dutch oven for this-it is great for soups and braising foods.)
- Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan and saute onion and garlic until tender but not browned.
- Add beef broth, wine, sugar, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, zucchini, bell pepper and sausage.
- Boil then reduce to simmer (low heat) for 40 minutes.
- Stir in ravioli and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until just wilted.
- Turn off heat and ladle into bowls.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Serve with crusty garlic bread for dipping. Enjoy~