Artichoke soup, sometimes called Zuppa Di Carciofi, is a light and flavorful, broth-based Italian soup, made with artichokes, Roma tomatoes, onions, and fresh herbs.
This simple, yet elegant soup comes from Cicciotti's Kitchen, a recipe collection of Italian family favorite recipes, by Gaetano Cicciotti. *The cookbook was provided to me free of charge, for my review. As always, all opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
Gaetano, an accomplished chef born and raised in Naples, Italy, came to the United States in the late 1990s and opened Cicciotti's Trattoria Italiana & Seafood in Cardiff, CA. The recipes in his cookbook are best described as quick, easy, and delicious. If you love Italian cooking and want to spend minimal time in the kitchen, then you will absolutely love this recipe collection! His publisher sent me a copy to share with my readers and narrowing down a favorite dish to showcase was a pretty big challenge. His cooking style is right up my alley, so I can't wait to try out more recipes! The cookbook contains easy recipes for sauces, appetizers, soups, pasta dishes, and Italian specialties, along with stunning photography.
I hope you enjoy this light, healthy, and easy soup recipe. Bon Appetito!
Shopping List For This Recipe
- Yellow Onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Quartered Artichoke Hearts (I used frozen and steamed them prior to adding to the soup)
- Roma Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Fresh Basil
- Good quality Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
I love this mostly whole-food-based recipe that only requires a few simple ingredients.
What To Serve With Artichoke Soup
This soup is so light and refreshing that it makes a great year-round soup recipe. This soup pairs beautifully with baked chicken parmesan, grilled flat iron steak, or our favorite foil packet grilled salmon. If you prefer white fish, this grilled garlic-lime sea bass would be a perfect pairing. When you add a lean protein source along with this soup, you have a quick and easy well-rounded meal. An Italian salad, like this copycat Olive Garden salad recipe, would be delicious too!
More Favorite Italian-Inspired Recipes
Artichoke Soup (Zuppa Di Carciofi)
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion I used a Vidalia onion
- 2 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes
- 14 oz quartered artichoke hearts I used frozen artichokes and steamed them prior to adding to soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup julienned fresh basil
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Garnish: Homemade Croutons I left these out
- If using frozen artichokes, steam and drain any excess water
- In a large sauté or frying pan, sauté onion in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes
- Add artichoke hearts, cooking 2-3 more minutes
- Add broth and basil
- Bring to a boil
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and croutons, if using