This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Artichoke soup, sometimes called Zuppa Di Carciofi, is a flavorful, broth based Italian soup, made with artichokes, roma tomatoes, onions, and fresh herbs.
This simple, yet elegant soup comes from Cicciotti’s Kitchen, a recipe collection of Italian family favorite recipes, by Gaetano Cicciotti. Gaetano, an accomplished chef born and raised in Naples, Italy, came to the United States in the late 1990’s and opened Cicciotti’s Trattoria Italiana & Seafood in Cardiff, CA.
*The cookbook was provided to me free of charge, for my review. As always, all opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
The recipes in this cookbook are best described as quick, easy and delicious. If you love Italian cooking and want to spend minimal time in the kitchen, then you will love this recipe collection! In the cookbook, you’ll find easy recipes for sauces, appetizers, soups, pasta dishes and Italian specialties, along with gorgeous photography.
I hope you enjoy this easy soup recipe for artichoke soup. Bon Appetito!
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion I used a Vidalia onion
- 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped roma tomatoes
- 14 oz quartered artichoke hearts I used frozen artichokes and steamed them prior to adding to soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Garnish: freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Garnish: Homemade Croutons I left these out
- If using frozen artichokes, steam and drain any excess water
- In a large sauté or frying pan, sauté onion in olive oil until soft
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes
- Add artichoke hearts, cooking 2-3 more minutes
- Add broth and basil
- Bring to a boil
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and croutons, if using