Tomato basil bisque is a creamy, comforting soup. The best tomato bisque I’ve ever had, and it’s a lightened up version, because this bisque is made without heavy cream.
My friend, Keri, sent me this wonderful tomato bisque recipe a few weeks ago. I love this lightened-up version of a cream-based favorite! This tomato basil bisque is full of wonderful flavor and I didn’t even miss the heavy cream. Serve with a big salad or a loaf of crusty whole-grain bread. Delicious~
I hope you enjoy the tomato basil bisque recipe as much as I do!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious bisque:
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onion (I used sweet vidalia onion)
1 cup peeled chopped carrots
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
2 large cans roma tomatoes drained well and coarsely chopped (I used the 28oz cans San Marzano tomatoes)
3 1/2 to 4 cups chicken broth (love Wolfgang Pucks roasted chicken broth here)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt to taste
Tomato Basil Bisque
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (I used sweet vidalia onion)
- 1 cup peeled chopped carrots
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 large cans roma tomatoes drained well and coarsely chopped (I used the 28oz cans San Marzano tomatoes)
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups chicken broth (love Wolfgang Pucks roasted chicken broth here)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste
1. Saute onion and carrot in a saucepan with oil over medium heat until onion is soft and opaque. Add garlic and saute for one more minute. Add tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until all veggies are tender (30-35 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
4. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to sauce pan and heat to serving temperature.
MEAL PLANNING TIP: Make this soup a day ahead and put in the refrigerator overnight. Heat in a crock pot on warm to serve the next day.