Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Cups are peanut butter tarts stuffed with mini chocolate peanut butter cups. These decadent cookies are simple to make and a chocolate lovers dream!
These peanut butter tart cookies are a holiday favorite in our house. I mean, how can you possibly go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter?!! Unless you have a peanut allergy, of course, then it can go horribly wrong. Luckily, we are allergy-free peanut butter lovers in this house and Chocolate Peanut butter cookie cups are a Christmas holiday staple.
How To Make Peanut Butter Cup Tarts
I originally found a peanut butter cookie cups recipe in 2009 on the Joy of Baking website. Her scratch-made version is really tasty, but after a few years I wanted more of a peanut butter flavor punch. I found a different version on BettyCrocker.com and started making an adapted version of the recipe.
I liked that the tart was made from peanut butter, not just a regular sugar cookie batter. One year I was running short on time and grabbed a bag of peanut butter cookie mix from the pantry and made a short-cut version. They were just as amazing, so I'm sharing both options: the time-saver and the scratch-made recipe. You get to decide which one is best for you. Win!
If you like cookies from scratch, stick with the DIY recipe. If you like recipe hacks, then you're going to love how easy the cookie mix version comes together. Honestly, the most time-consuming part of this recipe is unwrapping all of the mini peanut butter cups. I recruited my daughter for this task. Kids love this kind of labor, just make sure that they don't eat them all in the process. 😉
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Cups Recipe Hack Version
For this super easy variation, you'll use 1 bag of peanut butter cookie dough mix made according to package directions. Follow recipe directions for rolling balls and making the cookie tarts. *The cookie mix usually makes about 48 cookies instead of 36, so make sure that you have plenty of chocolate peanut butter cups. 🙂
A few more favorite holiday cookie recipes are these melt-in-your-mouth homemade apricot tarts, hazelnut crescents (which can also be made with walnuts, and my husband's favorite chocolate boozy bourbon balls.
If you love this recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Cups
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 36 mini peanut butter cups unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 36 mini muffin cups with cooking spray
- Whisk baking soda, baking powder and flour together in a medium bowl.
- Using a stand mixer, mix butter, peanut butter and sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture until well blended.
- Roll into ¾ inch balls and place a ball into each muffin cup. Using a tart tamper, press into the center of each ball to form a tart.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately press a peanut butter cup into the center of each cookie.
- Cool completely on wire rack before removing.