These Candy Cane Thumbprint Cookies are guaranteed to be a holiday hit!
Each year at my annual Christmas cookie exchange, I try out a new recipe to share with friends. This year I picked these moist and delicious thumbprint cookies from one of my Gooseberry Patch Christmas recipe cookbooks.
These delicate cookies have a great mix of textures. The mildly sweet butter cookie is a wonderful contrast to the sweet peppermint buttercream topping. This cookie is definitely a keeper!
*Recipe from 101 Christmas Recipes by Gooseberry Patch
Merry Christmas from my family to yours! xo~
Candy Cane Thumbprint Cookies
These delicate cookies have a great mix of textures. The mildly sweet butter cookie is a wonderful contrast to the sweet peppermint buttercream topping.
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Garnish: finely crushed candy canes
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp milk I used half & half
- With an electric mixer on low speed, blend softened butter, sugar and salt. Mix in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much flour as possible; stir in remaining flour. Cover and chill for one hour. Shape dough into one-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden around edges (very lightly golden…these should be soft when cooled.) Remove from oven; make a thumbprint in each cookie with thumb. Cool. Pipe filling into centers with a star tip. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Blend butter and extract. Gradually add powdered sugar and half & half to a piping consistency. Sprinkle crushed candy canes on the frosting immediately so that they stick before icing starts to firm just a bit.