I came across a newspaper clipping from the early 1900’s tucked neatly in the pages of my great grandmother’s “Table, Home and Health” cookbook. It was for several different bread recipes. They all sounded good, but the Soft Graham Bread caught my eye.
The ingredients for this old-fashioned artisan bread are simple and I love graham flour. It was widely used back in the early 1900’s for many different recipes. It was one of the main flours milled back in that time period. This particular recipe was submitted from Mrs. H.H. Griffith, Jr. in this cookbook.
Here is a picture of the original vintage recipe.
How To Make Soft Graham Artisan Bread
Ingredients You'll Need:
1 cup natural cane sugar (I used whey low granular)
2 ½ cups of buttermilk or 2 ½ cups milk (use at least 2% ) with 2 ½ tablespoon vinegar dissolved in milk for 5 minutes
2 ½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of sea salt
3 cups whole wheat graham flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (or unbleached bread flour works great here too)
Slice and Serve with your favorite butter spread.
If you love bread from scratch, you'll love making your own yeast starter sponge!
This bread is also delicious toasted with a little jam on top.
Nutrition Info For This Graham Bread Recipe
The nutrition for this recipe is figured out using 3 cups of whole wheat graham flour with 1 cup unbleached bread flour. I also used Marburger Dairy Farms gourmet buttermilk. One serving is 2 slices and you get 16 slices per loaf of bread. This recipe makes 2 loaves of bread. I usually keep one out to eat right away and wrap and freeze the second loaf for later. This bread freezes beautifully and I recommend pre-slicing it before wrapping and freezing in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
If you love this vintage bread recipe, definitely give this Cinnamon Raisin Sponge Cake recipe a try!
Homemade Soft Graham Artisan Bread
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ cups buttermilk *or 2 ½ cups whole milk with 2 ½ tablespoon vinegar
- 2 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups whole-wheat graham flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour *or unbleached bread flour
- Blend egg and sugar.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt with a whisk until blended.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and alternate with buttermilk until everything is added to the mixer.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Butter tops of bread and cool.
- Easy Instant Pot Crack Chicken - December 6, 2023
- Easy Hot Cocoa Mug Cake (Gluten-Free) - December 4, 2023
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023