How To Make Spinach Calzones With Premade Dough
8 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
3 cups (packed) fresh spinach
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ cup chopped, fresh mushrooms
⅓ sweet onion, finely chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
14.1 oz package refrigerated pizza dough
Make sure that you get the refrigerated pizza dough that comes in the sheet, not the ball of dough that you have to roll out. It's MUCH easier to work with when making these calzones since it's already precut in the size that you need to slice the squares of dough. This is the dough that I use with fantastic results.
I don't recommend the pizza dough that comes in the can because it doesn't hold up well when shaping the calzones. Don't forget to tag me on Instagram @ameessavorydish if you make them!!
Easy Spinach Calzones
- 8 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- ⅓ sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14.1 oz package refrigerated pizza dough *I use Wewalka European bakery-style pizza crust in the refrigerated section of the grocery store
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until soft. Add spinach and garlic and cook until all spinach is wilted. Drain, cool and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Add cooled spinach mixture to cheese mixture and blend.
- Flour a large cutting board and unroll the pizza dough to form a large rectangle. Use a rolling pin to smooth it out, if necessary. Cut into 6 even slices with a pizza cutter. Spoon about ½ cup filling into each square. Fold over and seal the edges with a fork.
- Place calzones onto a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cut a few small slits in each calzone to vent, and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned on tops and bottoms.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023
- Easy Pancake Mix Cookies (Gluten-Free Option) - November 27, 2023
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes - November 20, 2023