The first entry for my Vintage Recipes project is my Great Grandmother’s recipe for Bread Sponge Cake. Before I begin making the cake, I must first make the sponge starter. This is the first time that I have made an artisan sponge starter. It is really quite simple. I don’t know why working with yeast seems so intimidating, but all it takes is patience while waiting for best results. To make a sponge starter, mix equal parts cold water, bread flour and active dry yeast.
I am using 2 cups of cold, filtered water, 2 cups of unbleached bread flour and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
How to Make Bread Sponge for a Sponge Cake:
- 2 cups of cold filtered water
- 2 cups of unbleached bread flour
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until combined.
- Cover bowl with a plate, plastic wrap, or lid and let sit at room temperature for 18-24 hours. You can mix with a wooden spoon a few times during the process.
- After resting time, proceed with your desired recipe.