This simple crustless coconut pie is also referred to as Impossible Coconut Pie made with flaked coconut, eggs, sugar, unbleached flour, butter, coconut oil, and milk. This easy crustless pie recipe is a breeze to whip up and incredibly delicious!
How To Make A Crustless Coconut Pie "Impossible Pie"
Impossible pies are a southern thing. It's called "impossible" because it actually makes its own crust with a small amount of flour added to the mix. I just love that it saves me the labor of rolling out pie dough and it's super easy to make! This crustless coconut pie recipe is a revised version of one that was published in Food and Wine magazine.
I made some additions to the original recipe, adding orange zest, vanilla, and coconut extract and it took this pie to a whole new level. These flavors marry together like a match made in heaven.
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted and brought to room temperature
¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups milk (2% or whole milk)
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon coconut extract
1 tablespoon orange zest
¼ tsp sea salt
What To Serve With Crustless Coconut Pie
I love to serve this pie warm with a small scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. It tastes like warm coconut custard. It is also good served room temperature with a dollop of whip cream on top. Store pie in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving. This easy pie recipe makes the perfect Easter dessert!
If you're a big coconut lover, then don't miss this Light Coconut Cream Pie and my mom's recipe for Moist Coconut Cake. It was one of my favorite dessert requests when I was growing up. So easy and delicious!!
Crustless Coconut Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted and brought to room temperature
- ¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk 2% or whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10" glass pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted (and cooled) butter with the sugar and coconut oil.
- Add the eggs and beat until smooth (the butter cannot be hot or your eggs will curdle).
- Add vanilla extract, coconut extract and orange zest.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in flour, coconut, milk and sea salt.
- Stir until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until pie is firm to the touch and golden. Watch the pie in the last 10 minutes of baking and if the edges are getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining cook time.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
The Better Baker
Looks divine! You're so clever with your changes - wish I could have a piece of it right now! MMM!
Thank you:) It's so good to eat when it's still warm from the oven. I love just about anything coconut...if you couldn't already tell:)
Sooo glad to have found your blog through Sweet as Sugar Amee! Not only are our blogs sorta similar, but I LOVEEEEEEEE all things coconut and this looks TO DIE FOR! Can't wait to try it:)
Thank you, Donna:) Your blog looks fabulous! I will have to try some of your yummy recipes, too! Let me know if you try a recipe. I love to get feedback from other cooks:):)