This simple crustless coconut pie is also referred to as Impossible Coconut Pie made with flaked coconut, eggs, sugar, unbleached flour, butter, coconut oil, and milk. This easy crustless pie recipe is a breeze to whip up and incredibly delicious!
How To Make A Crustless Coconut Pie "Impossible Pie"
Impossible pies are a southern thing. It's called "impossible" because it actually makes its own crust with a small amount of flour added to the mix. I just love that it saves me the labor of rolling out pie dough and it's super easy to make! This crustless coconut pie recipe is a revised version of one that was published in Food and Wine magazine.
I made some additions to the original recipe, adding orange zest, vanilla, and coconut extract and it took this pie to a whole new level. These flavors marry together like a match made in heaven.
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted and brought to room temperature
¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 cups milk (2% or whole milk)
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon coconut extract
1 tablespoon orange zest
¼ tsp sea salt
What To Serve With Crustless Coconut Pie
I love to serve this pie warm with a small scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt. It tastes like warm coconut custard. It is also good served room temperature with a dollop of whip cream on top. Store pie in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving. This easy pie recipe makes the perfect Easter dessert!
If you're a big coconut lover, then don't miss this Light Coconut Cream Pie and my mom's recipe for Moist Coconut Cake. It was one of my favorite dessert requests when I was growing up. So easy and delicious!!
Crustless Coconut Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted and brought to room temperature
- ¼ cup extra-virgin organic coconut oil
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk 2% or whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10" glass pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted (and cooled) butter with the sugar and coconut oil.
- Add the eggs and beat until smooth (the butter cannot be hot or your eggs will curdle).
- Add vanilla extract, coconut extract and orange zest.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in flour, coconut, milk and sea salt.
- Stir until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until pie is firm to the touch and golden. Watch the pie in the last 10 minutes of baking and if the edges are getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining cook time.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023
- Easy Pancake Mix Cookies (Gluten-Free Option) - November 27, 2023
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes - November 20, 2023