This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
My mother has been making this moist coconut cake for years. It brings back special memories from my childhood. My children call her “Mimi”, so it is now referred to as “Mimi’s Coconut Cake”. It is simple, light and very moist from the cooked milk mixture poured on top after it comes out of the oven.
This family-favorite coconut cake is the perfect springtime dessert. I often make it as part of our Easter meal. I am, obviously, still on my coconut kick (wink)!
Mimi’s Moist Coconut Cake
- 1 box white cake mix I love the organic varieties
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages frozen coconut such as Bakers
- 8 oz carton cool-whip or Truwhip for a healthier option
- Mix together: Cake mix, eggs, water and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan (Pam for baking works best) and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- While cake is baking combine sugar, 1 package coconut and milk in a saucepan.
- Simmer to a low-boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let cool....
- When cooled, spread with cool whip and top with the other package of coconut over the top.
Store in a sealed cake container in the refrigerator. If you’d like more moist cake recipes ideas, you should also try this pumpkin chocolate cake, spiked egg nog cupcakes and Devil’s food cupcakes with chocolate chip buttercream. So good!
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019