My mother has been making this coconut cake for years. It brings back special memories from my childhood. My children call her “Mimi”, so it is now referred to as “Mimi’s Coconut Cake”. It is simple, light and very moist from the cooked milk mixture poured on top after it comes out of the oven. Coconut cake is a wonderful springtime dessert. I often make it as part of our Easter meal. I am, obviously, still on my coconut kick (wink)! Have a joyous and blessed day! Enjoy~
Mimi’s Coconut Cake
Mimi's Coconut Cake
- 1 box white cake mix (I love the organic varieties)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages frozen coconut (such as Bakers)
- 8 oz carton cool-whip (or Truwhip for a healthier option)
- Mix together: Cake mix, eggs, water and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan (Pam for baking works best) and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- While cake is baking combine sugar, 1 package coconut and milk in a saucepan.
- Simmer to a low-boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let cool....
- When cooled, spread with cool whip and top with the other package of coconut over the top.
Keep in the refrigerator. YUM!