Drunk cupcakes, anyone?!! These boozy eggnog alcohol-infused cupcakes will be the hit of your holiday spread made with ready-made cake mix, egg nog, butter, eggs, and dark rum and topped with a rum-infused whipped cream. Not to mention, incredibly delicious!!! These tasty cakes can also be made in an alcohol-free version. *This post for Egg Nog Cupcakes is sponsored by Restaurantware. All opinions are my own.
Easy Egg Nog Cupcakes with Cake Mix
The holidays are a busy time of year, so I wanted to come up with a fun "cheater" recipe using my favorite all-natural boxed cake mix to save time, but not sacrifice quality or taste. I'm also sharing some wonderful products from Restaurantware to make holiday entertaining simple and fun. These Egg Nog Cupcakes with Rum Whipped Cream are made with the Vanilla Immaculate Cake Mix. I've also included instructions below on how to adapt this recipe to work with any storebought cake mix.
I love that these mixes don't use bleached flour, have minimal all-natural ingredients, and do not use any artificial flavors or preservatives. Win! They are my favorite short-cut hack when making cakes and cupcakes. When I'm in a pinch, I don't want to fuss with baking from scratch. Not to mention, the results are delicious and they turn out more moist and dense, like homemade cakes. This post is all about saving you time and keeping things stress-free and fun. 😉 If you have the extra time and you're looking for an amazing from-scratch holiday cupcake recipe, these Mint Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream are to-die-for.
Restaurantware carries so many different varieties of eco-friendly cupcake tins, loaf pans, and mini serving utensils to make holiday entertaining a breeze.
Another cool product that makes an impressive presentation are these Gastro Science Food Grade Pipettes. They are fun for adding different liquid garnishes to desserts, like these egg nog shots. Inject them into the cupcake and you'll get a nice kick, plus added moisture to the cake. You can get really creative with these garnishes.
Here are some of the ingredients I used for this recipe...
How To Make Alcohol-Infused Cupcakes with Any Cake Mix
If you can't locate the Immaculate mixes near you, or you want to use your own favorite brand of cake mix, you can easily adapt this recipe to work with any boxed cake mix. I would recommend a golden cake mix or vanilla-flavored mix for this recipe. Just use egg nog in place of the amount of water called for on the box and use ½ melted butter and ½ grapeseed oil (or canola) for the vegetable oil amount called for in the package directions. You will want to use the number of whole eggs per the box directions. The Immaculate baking mix used 4 eggs, but most box mixes call for only 3 eggs. Finally, you'll want to add in 1 tablespoon of dark rum to the batter when mixing.
How To Make Alcohol-Free Egg Nog Cupcakes
This recipe can easily be made alcohol-free using rum extract in the whipped cream instead of dark rum. I would start with ¼-1/2 teaspoon and adjust from there. The extract is strong, so you may not need as much to achieve the desired flavor. The same goes for the cake batter. You can adjust it, to taste, or leave it out altogether. They will still be delicious!
What are your favorite baking hacks and time-saving tips for party planning? I'd love to hear them in the comments below! Don't forget to check out Restaurantware for all of your food fashion needs!
Egg Nog Cupcakes with Rum Whipped Cream
- For the cake:
- 1 box of Immaculate Yellow Cake Scratch Baking Mix
- ¾ cup organic egg nog I used Horizon low-fat egg nog
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, softened
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dark rum can also use bourbon
- For the frosting:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark rum can also use bourbon or vanilla or rum extract
- For the pipettes:
- 2 tablespoon dark rum or bourbon
- ½ cup egg nog
- Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 24 muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
- Beat cake mix, egg nog, butter, oil and eggs on low for 30 seconds.
- Switch to high speed and blend for 2 minutes, scraping down bowl a few times.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling ⅔ full.
- Bake 18-23 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- To prepare whipped cream frosting:
- Chill mixing bowl and beaters for 5 minutes in the freezer while you gather your ingredients.
- Pour whipping cream into cold bowl and whip on high for about 1 ½ minutes, it should be pretty thick.
- Add rum (or bourbon or vanilla) and confectioners sugar and beat another 1-2 minutes until cream is thick for frosting.
- For pipettes:
- Stir rum and egg nog together and fill pipettes.
- Frost cupcakes with whipped cream.
- Place a pipette into the side of each cupcake to be enjoyed as a shot or to inject into cupcakes for an added kick.
- Garnish cupcakes with a little freshly grated nutmeg.