These moist Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes with peppermint buttercream frosting are the only chocolate cupcake recipe you need this holiday season!
These babies are so incredibly moist and the white chocolate truffles stuffed in the middle are an added bonus. Trust me, these cupcakes are worth the splurge!
A fun surprise ingredient in these cupcakes is white chocolate peppermint truffles. You can also use dark chocolate peppermint patties. The chocolates stuffed inside make these over-the-top amazing!
Tips For Making Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
Don’t be alarmed by the thin batter, they will rise beautifully and bake up over the truffle. This secret ingredient makes these dark chocolate peppermint cupcakes extra tasty and super moist. They are even better after they chill in the refrigerator overnight in an airtight cupcake container.
Make sure that you store these in the fridge, if you’re not serving them right away, since they have whipped cream and milk in the frosting. Also, wait until right before serving to sprinkle the peppermint candies on top, because they tend to melt into the frosting.
All of the textures going on in a bite of this cupcake is nothing short of bliss. The crunch of the peppermint candy contrasted with the smooth and creamy peppermint vanilla buttercream is the perfect compliment to the moist chocolate cake.
If the chocolate peppermint combo is your jam, give this Chocolate Peppermint Bark a try from my friend Kim at Cravings of A Lunatic. It’s a great easy holiday recipe and makes a great gift!
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 30 chocolate truffles or peppermint patties for stuffing I used Lindor's White Chocolate Peppermint truffles
- For the frosting:
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup crushed candy cane pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 30 muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients, except boiling water and chocolates and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water and pour into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full (this batter is thin, so don't be alarmed)
- Add a truffle (or peppermint chocolate of your choice) in the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (the center where the chocolate is will look a little wet, this is ok)
- Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- To make frosting:
- Whip softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Add vanilla, peppermint extract and 1/3 of the powdered sugar
- Blend until creamy, then add half of the milk and cream and another third of the powdered sugar, scraping down the bowl occasionally
- Add the remaining milk and cream and sugar and blend until smooth, creamy and spreadable
- Frost cupcakes using your favorite decorating tip and sprinkle with crushed peppermint
I hope that you enjoy this Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake recipe! Happy Holidays!!