*Update: This giveaway is over, so the entry form has been removed from the post.
I’m so excited for this week! Do you want to know why?! Not only am I sharing a recipe for decadent dark chocolate peppermint cupcakes, but I’m also a part of a fabulous group of bloggers hosting an amazing holiday giveaway!!! Three different BIG prizes valued at $800!
You don’t want to miss all of the great recipes featured. Also, be sure and get your name in the pot for a chance to win an Amazon gift card to make your holiday shopping a little bit easier. Happy browsing and good luck! I know you’ll find some fun and tasty holiday entertaining inspiration!
Welcome to Day 1 of Christmas Week. This annual event was started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes for the event. Plus we all chipped in for a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway so be sure to enter!
Participants for Christmas Week:
Recipes from Day 1 of Christmas Week! Please visit all our talented participants:
Pistachio Brittle from Cravings of a Lunatic
Peppermint Ice Cream Fudge Pie from Desserts Required
Peppermint Bark from Poet in the Pantry
Eggnog Pound Cake from The Redhead Baker
Simple Pain Au Chocolate Au Amandes from Pineapple and Coconut
Cranberry Marshmallow Krispie Treats from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Fancy Chocolate Covered Marshallows from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Mini Eggnog Cream Pies from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Christmas Cookies from Cooking on the Front Burner
Marzipan Fruits from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
Eggnog Truffles from Crumb: A Food Blog
Peppermint Fudge from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes from Amee’s Savory Dish
Gingerbread Cake with Orange Cream Glaze from Comfortably Domestic
Christmas Sweets and Treats from Food Done Light
Spiked Hot Cocoa Gift Mix from Farm Fresh Feasts
Chanukah Olive Oil Cookies from Mother Would Know
Coconut Pralines from Food Lust People Love
Blueberry Overnight Sweet Rolls from My Catholic Kitchen
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies from Daily Appetite
Chocolate Dipped Gingersnaps from Try Anything Once Culinary
Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Dark Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Cups from Savory Experiments
Bourbon Soaked Eggnog Cake from Cooking In Stilettos
Ginger Snap Cocktail from Food Babbles
Coquito Cinnamon Roll Bundt from Mind Over Batter
No-Bake Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Easy White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge from Big Bear’s Wife
Authentic Mexican Marranitos or Gingerbread Pigs from Everyday Southwest
Gingerbread Oatmeal Creme Pies from From Gate to Plate
Molasses Ginger Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Apricot Spice Biscotti from Savoring Italy
Christmas Cocktail from Dixie Chik Cooks
Coconut Bars from The Tomato Tart
Spiced Macadamia Cashew Brittle from Aloha Flavor
See’s Fudge from CopyKat Recipes
Now for the “knock your socks off” peppermint cupcakes you must make this holiday season! These babies are so incredibly moist and the white chocolate truffles stuffed in the middle are just an added bonus. PSA: These cupcakes are NOT healthy, they are one of my splurge posts that are absolutely necessary to maintain dietary sanity. I don’t even like the word “diet”, it’s all about balance y’all.
A fun secret ingredient in these cupcakes is white chocolate peppermint truffles. You can also use dark chocolate peppermint patties. The chocolates stuffed inside make these over-the-top amazing!
Don’t be alarmed by the thin batter, they will rise beautifully and bake up over the truffle. This secret ingredient makes these dark chocolate peppermint cupcakes extra tasty and super moist. They are even better after they chill in the refrigerator overnight in an airtight cupcake container. Make sure you store these in the fridge, if you’re not serving them right away, since they have whipped cream and milk in the frosting. Also, wait until right before serving to sprinkle the peppermint candies on top, because they tend to melt into the frosting.
All of the textures going on in a bite of this cupcake is nothing short of bliss. The crunch of the peppermint candy contrasted with the smooth and creamy peppermint vanilla buttercream is the perfect compliment to the moist chocolate cake.
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 30 chocolate truffles or peppermint patties for stuffing I used Lindor's White Chocolate Peppermint truffles
- For the frosting:
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup crushed candy cane pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 30 muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients, except boiling water and chocolates and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water and pour into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 full (this batter is thin, so don't be alarmed)
- Add a truffle (or peppermint chocolate of your choice) in the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean (the center where the chocolate is will look a little wet, this is ok)
- Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- To make frosting:
- Whip softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Add vanilla, peppermint extract and 1/3 of the powdered sugar
- Blend until creamy, then add half of the milk and cream and another third of the powdered sugar, scraping down the bowl occasionally
- Add the remaining milk and cream and sugar and blend until smooth, creamy and spreadable
- Frost cupcakes using your favorite decorating tip and sprinkle with crushed peppermint
Be sure and enter for your chance to win one of these fabulous prizes!!! It’s our way of saying “Thank you!” for reading our blogs and supporting us in our crazy foodie adventures! Blessings to you and yours this holiday season. xo~
Christmas Week Amazon Gift Card Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada. Giveaway will run from December 7, 2015 to December 26, 2015. Winners must be 18 years of age. Winners will be notified by email. Winners will be asked a skill testing question.
I hope that you enjoy this Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcake recipe! Happy Holidays!!