This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
What goes better with Baileys Irish Cream than chocolate and a freshly brewed cup of coffee?! These Baileys Cupcakes topped with mocha buttercream are a magical combo!
I created this cupcake recipe for St. Patrick's Day using one of my favorite flavor duos. The instant coffee or espresso powder (I used Starbucks Via Columbian) gives the frosting a rich mocha taste. Don't like coffee? Just do a chocolate buttercream instead, still incredibly delicious!
As some of you already know, I'm a cupcake fanatic. A few more favorites on the blog that you shouldn't miss are these S' mores cupcakes, Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes, Devil's Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream, Surprise Inside Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes, Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting, and Lavender Earl Grey Teacake Cupcakes.
For a healthier cupcake version, these Chocolate Bliss Cupcakes are the bomb!
Ingredients In Baileys Cupcakes
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Good quality vanilla extract
- Baileys Irish Cream liquor
- Whole milk
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
Ingredients In Mocha Buttercream
- Butter, softened
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Espresso powder (you can also use instant coffee, but the espresso gives it more flavor)
- Whole milk
- Powdered sugar
These Wilton extra large piping tips are my go-to for swirling frosting on cupcakes. To frost, start in the center of the cupcake and swirl up and out until you reach the edge.
These cupcakes would be the perfect finishing touch to a St. Patrick's Day meal!
Baileys Cupcakes with Mocha Buttercream Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups Baileys Irish Cream liquor
- ⅔ cups water
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
For the Mocha Buttercream:
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder I used a packet of Starbucks Via Columbian roast
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
- Insert 24 liners into a cupcake pan
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well
- In a separate bowl, combine the Baileys, water and milk
- Stir well
- In a third bowl, sift flour with baking powder and salt
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the Baileys mixture
- Beat on medium speed for approximately 2 minutes
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for about 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched
For the frosting:
- Cream butter with cocoa powder, coffee granules and vanilla
- Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, alternating with the whole milk
- You can adjust the creaminess of the frosting to your taste by adding more or less milk
- Frost your drunk cupcakes and enjoy:)