This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
In anticipation of the new Disney The Pirate Fairy movie release, my daughter and I created these themed cupcakes to share with her friends. My daughter, Lauren, loves everything to do with fairies and Disney. She even has a little spot in our garden for her garden fairy house and accessories.
There are so many fun ideas to inspire a fairy-themed party. I wanted to do something different than using fondant or plastic toppers to embellish our cupcakes. I found these ornate butterfly clips at my local craft store and knew they would make gorgeous fairy wings for our cupcake toppers!
How To Make Easy Pirate Fairy Cupcakes
I detached the wings from the body of the clip, luckily they came out easy without tearing the delicate feathers. Then I used a little hot glue to attach the wings to a white lollipop stick and voila!…a fun and simple cupcake topper. The plastic swords were then added to tie in the pirate theme and, of course, a sprinkling of fairy dust.
Pirate Fairy Cupcakes
What you’ll need:
Flower Petal Baking Cups
Butterfly Clips (or any small wings that you find at your local craft store)
4.5″ lollipop sticks
Candy Fairy Dust
India Tree natural food dyes (if you are coloring your frosting)
Hot glue gun
Small plastic swords (available at most grocery stores)
1 box Golden Butter cake mix or your favorite homemade recipe
1 recipe for Favorite Buttercream Frosting
Gently remove the wings from the butterfly clips. These just pulled right out of the sides, so I didn’t have to cut them.
Now attach the wings to the top of the lollipop stick with a little hot glue.
Set fairy wing sticks aside and assemble your cupcakes. Using your favorite butter cake recipe (or you can cheat and use Duncan Hines), bake cupcakes then allow to cool completely. Now prepare the frosting and pipe on cupcakes using a large star tip. Next, sprinkle cupcakes with candy “fairy” dust, because every fairy cupcake must have a bit of magic. 🙂
Time to place the swords in the cupcakes and you’re all set!
Now it’s time to grab your favorite Disney fans to celebrate and enjoy The Pirate Fairy!
Be sure not to miss the all-new Tinkerbell Bell Movie from the World of Peter Pan! Own it on Blu-ray and Digital HD April 1st and don’t forget to like the Disney Fairies on Facebook!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp meringue powder
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk more or less to get your desired creaminess
- Blend butter in a large mixing bowl, in a stand mixer, on medium speed until nice and fluffy
- Add vanilla, meringue powder and almond extract and blend on low until incorporated
- Now add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with milk on medium speed, I use my whisk attachment for this, and blend until smooth, creamy and spreadable.
Check out these other themed cupcake ideas, too!
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019