I detached the wings from the body of the clip, luckily they came out easy without tearing the delicate feathers. Then I used a little hot glue to attach the wings to a white lollipop stick and voila!…a fun and simple cupcake topper. The plastic swords were then added to tie in the pirate theme and, of course, a sprinkling of fairy dust. 🙂
Pirate Fairy Cupcakes
What you’ll need:
Flower Petal Baking Cups
Butterfly Clips (or any small wings that you find at your local craft store)
4.5″ lollipop sticks
Candy Fairy Dust
India Tree natural food dyes (if you are coloring your frosting)
Hot glue gun
Small plastic swords (available at most grocery stores)
1 box Golden Butter cake mix or your favorite homemade recipe
1 recipe for Favorite Buttercream Frosting
Gently remove the wings from the butterfly clips. These just pulled right out of the sides, so I didn’t have to cut them.
Now attach the wings to the top of the lollipop stick with a little hot glue.
Set fairy wing sticks aside and assemble your cupcakes. Using your favorite butter cake recipe (or you can cheat and use Duncan Hines), bake cupcakes then allow to cool completely. Now prepare the frosting and pipe on cupcakes using a large star tip. Next, sprinkle cupcakes with candy “fairy” dust, because every fairy cupcake must have a bit of magic. 🙂
Time to place the swords in the cupcakes and you’re all set!
Now it’s time to grab your favorite Disney fans to celebrate and enjoy The Pirate Fairy!
Be sure not to miss the all-new Tinkerbell Bell Movie from the World of Peter Pan! Own it on Blu-ray and Digital HD April 1st and don’t forget to like the Disney Fairies on Facebook!
Favorite Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 1/2 sticks butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp meringue powder
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk more or less to get your desired creaminess
- Blend butter in a large mixing bowl, in a stand mixer, on medium speed until nice and fluffy
- Add vanilla, meringue powder and almond extract and blend on low until incorporated
- Now add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with milk on medium speed, I use my whisk attachment for this, and blend until smooth, creamy and spreadable.
Check out these other themed cupcake ideas, too!