This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This amazing healthier apple crisp recipe is a lightened-up dessert using whole grains and a healthier blend of fats.
This apple crisp recipe was given to me by my Mom years ago, but the original version was a lot more indulgent. I modified this recipe a bit, to make it a bit healthier without compromising taste. The result is just as delicious, if not better, than the original!
How To Make A Healthier Apple Crisp Recipe
One thing I did was change the fat from all butter to a blend of coconut oil and butter. I also used a whole grain flour blend and a blend of sucanat (or coconut sugar) and raw turbinado sugar instead of refined white sugar. You can easily swap out the coconut oil for a butter/olive oil blend, walnut oil or avocado oil if you don’t like the coconut flavor.
How To Make A Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
If you are on a gluten-free diet, you can easily make this crisp gluten-free by substituting the whole wheat pastry flour with all-purpose gluten-free flour. My favorite is King Arthur brand for cooking and baking. I always have great results with this brand. *not sponsored
What To Serve With Apple Crisp
This apple crisp is great served with Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
As far as the cinnamon goes, the more the better in my book. I love a generous amount a lot of cinnamon!
It’s just not fall without the smell of apples baking! This healthier apple crisp recipe is a fall staple in our house.
Top with a big scoop of Greek yogurt or your favorite vanilla ice cream. Absolutely delicious!
Amazing Healthier Apple CrispPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup of whole oats
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour *can also use spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup finely diced walnuts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil slightly melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6-7 large baking apples rome, golden delicious or granny smith, peeled and sliced into small wedges
- cinnamon for sprinkling 1 or more tsp
- raw cane sugar for sprinkling on apples or coconut sugar about 1/4 cup
- Combine all topping ingredients into a mixer
- While mixing, preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- When combined your topping should be crumbly
- Peel and slice your apples and arrange in a medium size baking dish (13x9 would be fine)
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon(1 tsp or more to taste)
- Then top with about 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- Sprinkle your topping mixture over apples, then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019