A simple and delicious recipe for Marrakesh Beef made with bottom round steak, tomatoes, and mango chutney served over rice. This sweet and savory combo is a great weeknight meal!
I've wanted to make this Marrakesh beef dish ever since I tasted it in the test kitchen at The Beef Checkoff headquarters last summer. I had flown out to Denver last summer for my first meeting as a part of a newly developed beef ambassador program.
I was invited, along with 2 other bloggers and 3 registered dietitians to be a part of the 2014/2015 Beef Bureau team. I am a proud supporter of beef as part of a healthy diet, as you can see by my many beef recipes on the blog. I shared information about the health benefits of lean beef in my Steak Stuffed Collards post, which I'm excited to announce won third place in The Recipe ReDux beef recipe contest!
I've had some pretty amazing trips with The Beef Checkoff to learn more about beef from farm-to-fork and beef nutrition. My first trip was in October of 2013 to Chicago for a LiveWell event. I learned so much about the nutrients in beef, the art of butchery, and delicious beef preparation ideas to bring out the umami in a dish.
The following year, I attended a local tour at Partisover Ranch in Colbert, GA followed by a seminar at The University of Georgia on the farm-to-table process and wrote about it in my "The Health Benefits of Lean Beef" post. Several months later, I traveled to Texas and got a more in-depth tour of the beef pasture-to-plate process.
I just love my foodie adventures!! I get to learn valuable information straight from the source to share with all of you, how cool is that?!
Ok, back to the recipe I'm sharing today....my friend and fellow Beef Bureau member, Toby Amidor of Toby Amidor Nutrition, prepared this recipe in the test kitchen during our cook-off challenge. We were each given a station and a recipe, developed by The Beef Checkoff, to prepare for the team.
This Marrakesh Beef was the bomb and I've been wanting to make this at home. I can't believe that I'm just now getting around to posting it, it was so flippin' good!!! I knew that my family would love it, we are big fans of sweet/savory flavor combinations. The original recipe called for toasted pine nut couscous, instead of brown rice.
The couscous was delicious, but I needed a gluten-free alternative for my husband. The brown rice is also a nice compliment to this dish. The only disappointment that I had making this recipe was that I didn't double the servings. We really wanted leftovers!
Marrakesh Beef Ingredients
- Bottom round steak (or roast)
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Mango chutney
- Curry powder
- Prepared brown rice (or couscous)
- Toasted pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
You can also make this recipe in a slow cooker, just follow the recipe instructions to sear the beef on all sides and add the beef to the slow cooker. Stir together the remaining ingredients, except the rice and pine nuts, and pour over the beef. Cook 6 hours on Low.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs bottom round steak or roast sliced into 2" chunks
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mango chutney
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups prepared brown rice
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven
- Add beef and sear on all sides and season with salt and pepper
- Add onion and garlic and cook until garlic is starting to turn lightly golden (less than 1 minute)
- Stir chutney, tomatoes and curry together in a small bowl and pour over beef mixture, stir to mix
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 ½ hours until beef is fork tender.
- Serve over cooked brown rice and garnish with pine nuts
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023
- Easy Pancake Mix Cookies (Gluten-Free Option) - November 27, 2023
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes - November 20, 2023