I was a part of a recipe club when we lived in Ohio. A group of foodie-loving ladies would gather once a month and swap recipes. Each month had a theme and we all picked a course to bring (soup, salad, appetizer, entree and dessert). It was so much fun and I have a lot of treasured recipes to enjoy from my Ohio friends. We have since moved to Atlanta, but I am so glad that I was able to add so many great new dishes to my collection and enjoy the company of these great ladies. This salad recipe came from my friend, Elizabeth. It is one of my favorite winter salads. I love the sweet and salty flavors in this salad. The cashews give it a great crunch. Don’t skip out on the homemade dressing! It’s delicious. The original recipe calls for lemon juice, but I wanted to try it with key lime juice. I love the switch, but either way it’s amazing. Enjoy~
Winter Fruit Salad with Key Lime Poppy seed Dressing
For the Salad:
1 large head romaine lettuce torn into bite size pieces (or you can use a large container of organic gourmet lettuce blend for convenience)
1 cup grated swiss cheese
1/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1 apple cubed
1 pear cubed
1 cup chopped cashew nuts
In a large bowl, toss all ingredients to mix.
For the Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup key lime juice (or lemon)
2 tsp finely chopped onions
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp poppy seeds
In a blender or food processor combine sugar, lime or lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt. Cover; process until blended. With machine running, add oil in a slow and steady stream. Process until thick and smooth. Add poppy seed and process a few seconds to mix. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat, or serve on the side.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce torn into bite size pieces or you can use a large container of organic gourmet lettuce blend for convenience
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries Craisins
- 1 large apple cored and cubed
- 1 large pear cored and cubed
- 1 cup chopped cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup key lime juice or lemon
- 2 tsp finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a serving bowl.
- In the bowl of a blender or food processor, add sugar, lime or lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt. Cover; process until blended.
- With machine running, add oil in a slow and steady stream. Process until thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process a few seconds to mix.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat, or serve on the side.
Recipe yields 4 servings as a side salad or 2 servings as a main dish salad.