This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This banana protein pancake is a great way to start your day! This gluten-free pancake recipe is made with oat flour, chia seeds, egg whites, banana, whey protein powder, and flaxseed. This breakfast is a nutrition powerhouse with healthy sources of carbs for energy and protein powder for building lean mass.
I have been playing around with a lot of different protein pancake recipes lately. I made this banana protein pancake version today and it turned out to be pretty darn tasty, so I wanted to share.
This protein pancake recipe is so quick and easy and I love that it makes a single serving. Not to mention, they make a great post-workout breakfast. The protein fills you up and goes toward building the lean muscle mass that we work so hard to grow in the gym!
Banana Protein Pancake Recipe
28 grams unflavored whey protein powder (you can use vanilla, but I’ve retested this recipe with plain and I like it much better)
1/2 very ripe banana
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground golden flaxseed
1 packet stevia
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tbsp oat flour
1 tbsp almond milk (can also use soy or skim milk)
In a medium-size bowl, blend all ingredients together (except chia seeds) with a handheld mixer or stand mixer. Fold in chia seeds. Let the batter sit for 3-5 minutes to thicken a bit (batter will still be thin compared to regular pancake batter). Spray a frying pan with non-stick spray, or grease the pan with coconut oil. Cook the pancake on medium heat for 4 minutes or until it starts to bubble and then flip to cook the other side. Serve warm topped with fresh kiwi fruit or fruit topping of your choice (sliced banana, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.). Drizzle with maple syrup or your topping of choice.
*Note: If you are using already sweetened vanilla protein powder you can leave out the packet of stevia in the batter.
Topping Ideas For Protein Pancakes
You can never go wrong with real maple syrup and fresh fruit, but it’s fun to switch things up occasionally and try out different pancake toppings. These banana pancakes also make an epic healthier dessert. Try out these toppings for a delicious twist!
- Nutella and sliced banana…OMG
- Peanut butter or other nut butter with a drizzle of honey
- All-fruit jam (I love spreading jam on these pancakes and rolling them up like a crepe)
- Chocolate chips and whipped cream or melted dark chocolate drizzled on top
- Sugar-free maple syrup (for a lower calorie/sugar option)
- Fruit compote: blackberry compote, raspberry compote, or blueberry compote is SO delicious on pancakes and waffles!
- Flavored Greek yogurt with fruit or homemade granola
- Flavored whipped cream cheese (I love the mixed berry flavor! It’s like cheesecake in a tub)
- Fruit butter: apple and pumpkin are so good in the fall
I’m pretty obsessed with protein pancakes. If you haven’t already, you should definitely give these Wild blueberry matcha protein pancakes, Chocolate protein pancakes with peanut butter drizzle, and a family favorite recipe for Cottage cheese pancakes a try!
This protein-packed banana pancake is a great way to start the day!
Note: This post has been updated from the original post published in August 2011.
Banana Protein Pancake For One
- 28 g unflavored whey protein powder can also use vanilla, just leave out the stevia
- 1/2 very ripe banana
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground golden flaxseed
- 1 packet stevia I use about a tsp of Whole Earth Sweetener
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp oat flour
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- In a medium size bowl, blend all ingredients together (except chia seeds) with a hand held mixer or stand mixer.
- Fold in chia seeds.
- Spray a frying pan with non-stick spray.
- Cook pancake on medium heat for 4 minutes or until it starts to bubble and then flip to cook the other side.
- Serve warm topped with fresh kiwi fruit or fruit topping of your choice (sliced banana, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.).
- Drizzle with your favorite syrup