This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
An easy baked chocolate pie recipe made with chocolate wafer cookies, hazelnuts, egg whites and whipped topping. It might just become your new summer favorite pie!
This easy baked chocolate pie is made with a secret ingredient that makes it crazy good…animal crackers. Sounds weird, but it turns out SO delicious! Not to mention, it might just be the best easy no bake chocolate pie you’ve ever had. Best of all, this chocolate pie is a lighter dessert recipe, perfect for the summertime.
I’ve added hazelnuts to the recipe for added crunch and flavor. Also because chocolate and hazelnut are one of the most magical combos for dessert creation. I mean…Nutella…need I say more?!
Tips For Making This Easy Baked Chocolate Pie
The secret to the chocolaty goodness in this pie is ground chocolate animal crackers. I use Barbara’s Bakery Organic Chocolate Animal Crackers, but any chocolate wafer cookie (preferably chocolate animal crackers that are low in sugar) will work well for this recipe.
There is no added refined sugar and no added flour to this lightened-up pie recipe. Feel free to substitute walnuts or your other favorite nuts here. My kids prefer it without nuts, so it’s fine to leave them out completely. I happen to love the crunch of the hazelnuts in this perfect summertime dessert.
If you love simple pie recipes, you should try this Whipped Chocolate Ice Box Pie with Pecan Crust, Gluten-Free Summer Squash Pie (a great way to use up squash from the garden), Light Coconut Cream Pie or my absolute favorite Orange Meringue Pie recipe.
Now time to get baking!
*This post has been updated from the original post published May 2012
Secret Ingredient Baked Chocolate Pie
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup sucanat Can also use coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3/4 cup finely ground chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 8 oz container of frozen non-dairy whipped topping Truwhip for a healthier version, but Cool Whip is fine
- Dark chocolate bar for grating on top
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 9" pie pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and sea salt at high speed until foamy. Gradually add sucanat and beat until stiff peaks form. The egg white mixture will be a nice caramel color.
- Fold in cookie crumbs, hazelnuts and vanilla extract.
- Pour into pie pan and bake for 30 minutes or until center is firm. Cool completely.
- Spread whipped topping over pie and garnish with shaved dark chocolate. Serve and enjoy!
- Store leftovers (if there are any!) in the refrigerator.
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019
- The Best Roasted Vegetable Salad - November 5, 2019
- Pumpkin Oat Flour Pancakes Made With Kefir - October 31, 2019