This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Fall is the time when we start craving comfort foods again. I like these seasonally flavored apple cinnamon protein pancakes better than the recipes that I have made, in the past, with mashed bananas because…
A: If you don’t like bananas then you are out-of-luck because your pancakes will taste like bananas
B: The texture is fluffy and cake-like, reminiscent of the beloved traditional pancake
C: They are nutritious but taste delicious, so my kids don’t know that they are healthy
Let’s face it, protein pancakes can be too dense and/or too dry. These apple cinnamon protein pancakes are moist and tasty. Don’t skip out on the coconut oil for cooking, it gives them the perfect outer texture while the inside remains fluffy and soft.
Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
- 3/4 cup whole grain or gluten-free pancake baking mix I use Pamela's *see below
- 1/2 cup vanilla or unflavored protein powder I love Designer Whey in this recipe because it's very mild and all natural
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil I use a Mediterranean blend of canola, grapeseed and olive
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- coconut oil for frying
- Place the chopped apples in a small microwave safe dish.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Drain juice from apples and set aside.
- Add all other ingredients (except coconut oil) in a medium size bowl and whisk until combined. Stir in apples.
- Heat a griddle or skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp coconut oil.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure cup, drop batter onto a hot griddle and cook until bubbles form and flip to cook the other side.
- Add coconut oil for each batch of pancakes, so that they are golden and slightly crispy on the outside and tender in the middle.
- Serve with your favorite real maple syrup or no-sugar added apple butter.