Peanut Butter Apple Tartlets are bite-sized tarts made with peanut butter and oats filled with chopped baked apples and topped with a maple butter drizzle. These mini treats are gluten-free and incredibly delicious!
These Peanut Butter Apple Tartlets are the perfect way to enjoy apple pie and still stay on track with your healthy eating goals. I happen to really, really love apple pie. It's one of my favorite desserts of all time. My mom's recipe can from my Nana and it's, hands down, the best pie on the planet. We always ask her to bring it to holiday gatherings and it never lasts long in this house. The kids are usually fighting over the last piece.
A Healthier Alternative To Apple Pie
However, apple pie doesn't really work well in my regular eating plan. I wanted to come up with a healthier treat recipe, using a gluten-free whole grain, natural sugar, and a better fat source. These little bites are still a treat for me, but they are a much smarter indulgence than a traditional slice of pie. I also love that they are a mini size for good portion control. A couple of these bites are really satisfying and a fun way to enjoy a lighter dessert.
I used a blend of powdered peanut butter and whole oats for the crust and olive oil butter blend baking sticks for the fat. You can also use coconut oil or olive oil, as well in lieu of the butter blend sticks. These little tartlets are crazy good and you won't even feel a bit deprived. That's what a good healthy eating plan is all about, still enjoying good quality food, focusing on nutrient density, portion control, and eating food that tastes good.
Want a bite?!
More Delicious Apple Recipes
Healthier Apple Crisp (A family favorite!)
Peanut Butter Apple Tartlets
- For the tarts
- 1 cup quick oats
- ½ cup PBFit peanut butter powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil butter blend sticks softened (or you can use EVOO, coconut oil or regular butter)
- ½ cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- For the filling
- 2-3 autumn glory apples finely chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the drizzle
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp maple sugar or brown sugar
- splash of heavy cream
- Place oats in a food processor and grind to a flour texture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Whisk ground oats, PBFit peanut butter powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend butter (or oil) and maple sugar until smooth.
- Add egg, vanilla and water and blend until mixed.
- Stir in oat mixture and blend on low speed until a sticky dough is formed.
- Spray a 24 cup tart pan with cooking spray and drop mixture in tablespoon-size scoops, dividing evenly in cups.
- Press down on each tart dough ball to slightly flatten with a tart tamper.
- Bake for 10 mins.
- While tarts are baking, place chopped apples in a microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover apples and microwave for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir apples and set aside until tarts are done.
- As soon as the tarts come out of the oven, press down on each with the tart tamper to make a well for the filling.
- Spoon apple filling in each of the tart shells.
- Prepare the drizzle by placing 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp maple sugar and splash of cream in a small microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave on low setting, stirring every 10 seconds until mixture is smooth.
- Drizzle over tarts and serve.