A clean-eating recipe for easy homemade blueberry compote made with frozen wild blueberries, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. This compote is the perfect accompaniment to oatmeal, pancakes, french toast or waffles!
This delicious blueberry compote is a wonderful alternative to sugary syrups and jellies to serve with healthy pancake recipes. My daughter loves blueberry syrup, but the kind sold in grocery stores is typically loaded with high fructose corn syrup and very high in sugar. This is a great substitute and much tastier.
Serve with Cottage Cheese Pancakes or Healthy Buttermilk Pancakes. It would also be a great alternative topping for Lemon Cheesecake!
How To Make Homemade Blueberry Compote
3 cups frozen wild blueberries
½ cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon grade A amber maple syrup
3 tablespoon water
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 teaspoon tapioca starch
Combine half of the frozen berries and all other ingredients, except tapioca starch, in a medium saucepan. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add in the rest of the frozen berries and cook another 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in tapioca starch and cook a couple of minutes more until thickened and liquid coats the back of a spoon.
Serve this blueberry compote warm. So delicious.
- 3 cups frozen wild blueberries
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon grade A amber maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon tapioca starch
- Combine half of the frozen berries and all other ingredients, except tapioca starch, in a medium saucepan.
- Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the rest of the frozen berries and cook another 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in tapioca starch and cook a couple minutes more until thickened and liquid coats the back of a spoon.
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
I am drooling while I'm reading this post. Though its kind a late I will serve this to my beloved girlfriend.
I love blueberry compote! Great recipe and tantalizing photos 🙂
I hope she loves it Joven! Thank you Emily!! 🙂
This looks wonderful! I've never used coconut sugar before...very interesting!
Ashley, you should try it! It's really delicious and better for you.:)
Perfection without the too syrupy taste. Flavors meld beautifully. Following recipe exactly, but had to substitute corn starch for tapioca starch for I did not have. Doubled recipe to serve at waffle brunch for 12.
Thank you for the review, Joyce. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the recipe! It's one of my favorite waffle toppings!