A simple and tasty wheat-free recipe for Belgian-style protein waffles made with cottage cheese, oats, eggs, and vanilla extract. This waffle recipe can be made in a Belgian waffle maker or a regular waffle maker.
This recipe for Belgian Protein Waffles might be the last protein waffle recipe I ever make. Nah, just kidding, I can't stop trying new recipes! 😉 In all seriousness, these waffles are really amazing, so if nothing else ever trumped them, my taste buds would still be happy.
These protein waffles are made with quality, clean-eating protein (no protein powders here) and turn out super tasty. You can also easily make them gluten-free by using gluten-free oats. If you haven't checked out my Oat Flour Blender Pancakes, they are another delicious gluten-free, whole-food pancake recipe made with oats.
This waffle recipe is similar to the recipe for my Mom's Cottage Cheese Pancakes that I posted a couple of years ago. They have been a long-standing family tradition. If you're more in the traditional pancake mood, check out my favorite clean eating pancake recipe.
Make sure that you use egg whites from whole eggs, not liquid egg whites in the carton, and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently folding the whipped egg whites into the blender batter gives the batter extra volume and results in a nice, fluffy waffle. It's tempting to save time and just throw it all into a blender, but the end result will not be the same. It only takes a couple of minutes to whip the egg whites and I promise it's worth it.
Another important thing to remember when making these protein waffles is to cook them until they are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Our waffle maker does a great job, but we turn the setting all the way up to get them properly done. You do not have to have a Belgian waffle maker to make this recipe, a regular waffle maker works just fine. I've made these in my Dash waffle maker with great results.
Favorite Waffle Toppings
Some great topping ideas, sweet and savory, for waffles, are:
- Berries and fruit
- Real maple syrup or my favorite Walden Farms sugar-free syrup
- Toasted nuts (walnuts and pecans are so good on waffles with syrup)
- Nutella (for an epic splurge)
- Chocolate Chips
- Whipped cream (can even add flavors to this)
- Powdered sugar (can also use a zero-calorie powdered sugar, like Swerve)
- Crumbled bacon
- Fruit compote (raspberry compote, blackberry compote, cherry compote, and blueberry compote)
- And, of course, butter! Flavor-infused butter is also incredible for a fancy topping when you want to be a little extra.
Usually, I serve these waffles with fresh berries, Kerrygold butter, and a drizzle of real maple syrup. It's a tasty and nutritious breakfast to fuel the day. Healthy waffle heaven. 🙂
*Note: This post was originally published in March 2015. It has been updated throughout.
Belgian Protein Waffles
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese I love and use Good Culture cottage cheese because of the quality, flavor and thick texture
- 1 cup whole oats
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites (⅓ cup) *Use real eggs not liquid egg whites
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup *Optional for topping
- Place all ingredients into a blender (I use my Blendtec), except egg whites and blend until smooth. Beat egg whites in a stand mixer until stiff peaks start to form. Gently fold egg whites into blended mixture until just combined. Preheat waffle iron while allowing the batter to sit for a few minutes. Next, pour about a cup of batter into a greased waffle iron and cook until set. I used a Belgian waffle maker for this recipe, but a regular waffle iron will work fine, too. Just adjust the amount of the batter to the size of your waffle iron plates.
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Clean healthy easy to make food ! This is what we need in our lives more often ! Thanks for the article !
Woow!! what's a yummy recipe? I love to make waffles with my waffle iron. Your recipe is delicious and the way you describes is very easy. Definitely, I am to prepare this recipe tomorrow.