- Gluten-free all-purpose baking mix- baking mixes already have salt and leavening ingredients added, like baking powder and/or baking soda. Some baking mixes also include fat in the mix.
- Egg- you'll use a whole egg for this recipe
- Unflavored protein powder- I used an unflavored whey protein for this recipe. Using unflavored whey yields more consistent results, since flavored whey protein powders differ dramatically in flavor, texture, and taste. I recommend a whey protein concentrate or a whey concentrate/isolate blend. Since the amount of protein in isolates is higher than concentrates, it requires a bit more moisture so it won't dry out your baked goods. I used Naked Whey brand unflavored whey protein concentrate when testing this recipe.
- Unsweetened almond milk- you can also use regular milk
- Coconut oil- I use a cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- Ground golden flaxseed- I love adding ground flaxseed to pancakes and muffins. It gives the recipe a little nutrient boost. Ground flaxseed is high in Omega-3 fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Real maple syrup- to add a bit of natural sweetness
- Fresh strawberries- or any other berry of choice
- Mix all ingredients, except the strawberries, in a large bowl with a whisk until smooth and well blended.
- Fire-up your griddle and lightly oil with a little extra coconut oil. The high smoke point of coconut oil works great for cooking pancakes.
- Gently fold the strawberries into the batter.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, drop the batter onto the hot griddle. When pancakes begin to bubble and lightly brown, flip and cook the other side.
Pancake Topping Suggestions
Real maple syrup is my absolute favorite pancake topping, but if you are looking for other options a homemade fruit compote is always a winner and super easy to make. Easy raspberry compote, blueberry fruit compote, and blackberry compote are a few of my favorite simple and delicious compote recipes. I also love Walden Farms sugar-free maple syrup when I'm reducing my calories and sugar intake.
Recommended Gluten-Free Baking Mixes
Strawberry Gluten-Free Protein Pancakes
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose baking mix such as Pamela's GF baking mix or King Arthur Flour GF all-purpose baking mix
- 1 whole egg room temperature
- 30 g unflavored protein powder I recommend a whey protein concentrate for this recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or regular milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or any other berries of choice
- Mix all ingredients (except strawberries) in a large bowl with a whisk until smooth and well blended.
- Gently stir in strawberries and drop by ¼ cup size pancakes onto a hot griddle in a few teaspoons of melted coconut oil.
- When pancakes start to bubble and lightly brown (3-4 minutes), flip and cook other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with pure maple syrup or your favorite fruit compote.