This chocolate date protein shake is a nutrient-packed super shake recipe made with whey protein, nut milk, Medjool dates, baby spinach, and cacao. I love super shakes because they are a balanced meal in a glass and quick and easy to whip up in a hurry. This healthy chocolate shake is a personal favorite for mornings on the run.
How To Make A Super Shake
Super shakes contain healthy sources of all of the macronutrients that our bodies need:
- Protein (whey or plant-based protein powder, Greek yogurt, or pasteurized egg whites)
- Carbs (from a handful of greens and fruit)
- Fat (nuts, nut butter, full-fat dairy, avocado, seeds)
They also provide micronutrients from high-quality whole-food ingredients. To build your shake, you'll also need to pick a liquid for the base (nut milk, hemp milk, cow's milk, water, soy milk, etc.)
You can easily build your own version using all of your favorite ingredients. The possibilities are endless!
Super Shakes Save Time
If you have a busy schedule with little time for food prep, then this chocolate date protein shake will make the perfect meal. Not to mention, it's crazy delicious! A good quality blender, like a Vitamin or Blendtec, is recommended for best results. However, any blender will do the trick. I'm kind of picky about the taste and texture of whey proteins, so you need to find one that you love for this recipe. I used BPI Sports Chocolate Brownie flavor for this shake with tasty results. Other favorite brands are Earth Fed Muscle, BiPro Chocolate Whey Isolate, and Metabolic Drive Chocolate protein.
A few other protein shakes that you should try for speedy, nutrient-dense meal or snack are: Live On Green Smoothie, Wild Blueberry Chocolate Protein Shake, Nutella Protein Shake, Chocolate Banana Whey Protein Shake, Triple Berry Protein Shake, and Peppermint Patty Protein Shake.
Chocolate Date Protein Shake
- 6 oz unsweetened almond milk the 30 calorie version
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves about ½ cup
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoon cacao nibs
- 1-2 tablespoon cacao powder
- a few ice cubes
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.