This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Clean Eating Buttermilk Pancakes made with whole-grain flour, buttermilk, and Greek yogurt provides a healthy source of carbohydrates and great fuel to start your day!
I love browsing Clean Eating magazine to get more healthy meal ideas. It is full of great recipes that don't use highly processed carbs and refined sugars. I found this Clean Eating Buttermilk Pancake recipe on their website and adapted it, making a few substitutions to suit my taste. I also added a little water to the original recipe. The batter seemed a bit too thick. I love how these pancakes turned out and that they provide a healthier, wholesome carbohydrate source to start the day.
What To Serve With Buttermilk Pancakes
I love serving these pancakes with a small drizzle of real maple syrup and top with fresh berries for added nutrition. I'm crazy about the Wyman's wild frozen blueberries for topping pancakes. I used them to make my favorite Blueberry Compote, a simple and easy recipe without refined sugar that takes pancakes to a whole new level. You definitely have to try it on your favorite pancakes and waffles!
Clean Eating Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients You'll Need:
- unbleached white whole-wheat flour
- coconut sugar (can also use Truvia brown sugar blend or sucanat)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- egg whites
- plain Greek yogurt
- olive oil cooking spray (for greasing the pan)
Full recipe below.
Buttermilk Pancakes ~A clean eating recipe
- 1 ½ cups unbleached white whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar *can also use Truvia brown sugar blend or Sucanat
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- enough water to make a thick pouring consistency. Add about ⅛ cup and a bit more if necessary
- Olive oil cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Sucanat, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk, eggs and sour cream with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Add water to achieve desired consistency.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Mist skillet with cooking spray and heat until melted. Pour ¼ cup batter into skillet for each pancake and cook for 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges appear cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over and cook for 2 more minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter, re-misting skillet with cooking spray between batches.