This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Pumpkin oat flour pancakes are wholesome pumpkin pancakes made without wheat flour, using canned pumpkin and oat flour ground from whole oats. These pancakes are made with probiotic-rich kefir that makes them fluffy and moist. They’re hearty, healthy, and delicious!
I adore pumpkin pancakes so decided to come up with an oat flour variation. I love oats for breakfast. They are a staple morning carbohydrate source for me. This baked pumpkin spiced oatmeal is another favorite way to cook them. I also love steel cut oats made in the instant pot. It’s a great way to “set it and forget it” when you are getting ready in the morning. Oats are a quality source of dietary fiber and stick to your bones to keep you full until lunchtime.
This easy pumpkin pancakes recipe is made with whole oats finely ground in a food processor. You can also use storebought oat flour, but it’s cheaper and effortless to make your own from whole oats.
How To Make Your Own Oat Flour
Measure out 2 cups of whole oats for this recipe and pour them into the bowl of a food processor.
Process until finely ground. It will have the texture of coarse flour. That’s it! So simple to make your own oat flour. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also do this in a Vitamix.
How To Make Pumpkin Oat Flour Pancakes Made With Kefir
Ingredients You’ll Need:
2 cups of whole oats, ground
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup kefir
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (can also use avocado oil)
2 egg whites
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
After you grind the oats, whisk them together with the pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking powder.
Next, whisk the eggs together and add to the remaining liquid ingredients.
Then blend the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until blended.
Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. You don’t want the pan too hot or the exterior of the pancake will brown before the middle has a chance to set. These cook a little slower than regular flapjacks.
Spray the pan with olive oil spray or coat with coconut oil. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop batter onto the pan and cook pancakes until they begin to bubble and lightly brown on one side. Flip and repeat with the remaining pancake batter. This recipe makes 14 four-inch pancakes.
If you like a thinner batter, add a little unsweetened almond milk until you achieve the desired consistency.
What To Serve With Pumpkin Oat Flour Pancakes
Some of my favorite pancake toppings are nuts (walnuts, raw pumpkin seeds, pecans, and almonds), chia seeds, cacao nibs, chocolate chips, whipped butter, real maple syrup, sugar-free maple syrup (when I’m watching calories), easy homemade fruit compotes (blueberry fruit compote and raspberry fruit compote), flavored whipped cream cheese, fresh and frozen berries, fruit butter, and homemade jam. Sometimes just a dusting of powdered sugar is perfect.
Want a bite?!
Easy Pumpkin Oat Flour Pancakes Made With Kefir
- 2 cups whole oats finely ground
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup plain unsweetened kefir
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- olive oil cooking spray for greasing pan *can also use coconut oil
- Grind oats in a food processor until finely ground.
- Whisk ground oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl
- Whisk egg and egg whites together
- Blend remaining ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk in the eggs
- Combine the flour mixture and liquid mixture together and whisk until blended
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray
- Pour ¼ cup of the pancake mix onto the hot skillet and cook until pancake begins to bubble. If the pan is too hot, the pancake will brown too quickly before its ready to flip. Flip pancake and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- Optional: Top pancakes with butter, good quality maple syrup, and toasted pecans.